Dull Sound with crackling on high frequencies

Hel Guedj

I can't help but think there is something wrong in your hookup to the crosover. It seems to be something of question in previous posts. Pictures would help. Maybe another K-Horn owner can post pictures.

There should be a pair of screw down connectors labled "input". Are the wires from the amplifier attached to the input?

Please excuse if this seems like I'm accusing you of not doing things properly. But something seems to be wrong.

Best,

Gil

You either have a poor connection to the tweeter(s) or a damaged speaker. Check that all connections to the amp, and to the individual drivers at the crossover are tight.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=28349&

Here is a picture of a type AA which while not identical to yours is similar. Make sure all leads are tightly connected to the crossover and the individual speakers.

post-7212-1381924922241_thumb.jpg

Jumper interconnect HF in and LF in.

Then I inserted the banana plugs.

On the other hand, the pin of the tweeter is plugged on Tweeter out, and the pin of the medium is plugged on mid out.

Where would be the mistake.

Plus, I listened to it by my seller, a shop in Belgium, and everything with sounding correct.

Jumper between LF in and HF in. Banana plugs from the amp on HF in.

Monster cable from the tweeter on Tweeter Out. Monster cable from the midrange pavilion on Mid Out.

On listening, I have crackling on high frequencies.

The Khorns come from Belgium, are brand new, were perfectly packed, and I listened to them a few days before shipping

Late model Khorns allow Bi-amping which involves splitting the low frequency and high frequency speakers so each section may be driven by separate amplifiers. This " splitting " is accomplished by removing a strap thereby disconnecting the HF section of the crossover from the LF section. I suspect that the strap is loose on one or both of your speakers.

I think that this would explain the crackling and rasping your are hearing

I believe that the crossover on the latest Khorns is located near the access panel for the woofer . The crossover was located on the top of the bass unit in older units.

The strap used on other Klipsch speakers is a flat piece of gold plated metal which connects the two black speaker connectors to each other and there is another strap which connects the two red speaker connectors to each other. If either of those straps are loose you would get the problem you are describing.

Tighten the straps and connect the wires from the amp to the bottom pair of of speaker connectors. Be careful when doing this to ensure that the + line from the amp is connected to the red connector and the - line is connected to the black connector. Check this on both speakers.

I always test to make sure that proper phase has been maintained after working on my Horns by playing a piece of music which has a lot of bass and reversing the connection to the amp on one ( and only one speaker ) If the bass becomes louder and better defined then the speakers were out of phase. If on the other hand the bass gets quieter then the speakers were phased correctly to begin with. Reconnect the speaker using the hookup that gives the best bass.

I began with The Firebird, directed by Ansermet.

Fabulous dynamics.

Cello and contrabass tutti are so powerful and accurate.

All horn instruments are clear and smooth, full of energy.

Flute are so silky.

Velvet pizzicati

A dream

After that : Miles ('Round bout Midnight) and Art Tatum.

I am amazed.

You can test for the tweeter by putting your ear up against it. Low volume of course.

It will sound very scratchy and tinny when working properly. Nothing if it is damaged. There is seldom any in between.

It may help to improvise a stethoscope with a cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels. Ear at one end, and hold the other up to the front of the tweeter.

The tweeter reproduces frequencies above 6000 Hz. That is the upper octave we can hear and it is sometimes not obvious that it is not working.

I'm glad this worked out. I was about to look for a cheap flight to Paris. Maybe I'll find one and collect my drink some day.

You make a good purchase. As you are hearing, the K-Horn is a marvelous piece of work. Let us know what you think of St. Saen's 9th (organ). Smile.

Gil

Sorry about that spelling problem. I was kidding you a bit about French composers.

It is one magnificent piece of music which is best heard on the best speakers.

I recall that decades ago a DJ on the best rock station in New York mentioned there was a new recording of The Organ. Perhaps, as a radio station, they were sent a promotional copy. He could not play it on the air. Too bad.

Best,

Gil