Dull Sound with crackling on high frequencies

Hel Guedj

ricktate is absolutely correct, the false corners need to be very substantial.

I made mine similar to the construction plans I posted, out of 2x4s, ¾" plywood on the speaker side, ½" plywood on the back side and floor (for the speakers to stand on rather than stand on carpet). I stuffed the interior of the false corners with insulation before attaching the back side plywood.

I believe that false corners need to be very sturdy, heavy, and solid to re-direct the bass sound waves as a true wall/corner would do. I think of cork as light weight and a 'porous' material, more suited to absorb sound than reflect it.

Before I finished my basement listening room I used ¾" plywood panels nailed to the back of the bass bins for false corners. At louder volumes my panels would come loose from the pounding of the bass. When I finally built substantial false corners I couldn't believe how much tighter the bass became and how much bass I had been missing.

It can't hurt anything to try your cork panels, I am sure they would be much better with ¾" plywood on the side against the speakers, but they need to be tightly against the speakers with a good seal maintained between the tailboard and the corner.

I think we need a pic to see what your idea is,,,,i would use your idea till i made a proper false corner with a base on it ,,,instead of making a 2x4 wall....just take seveal 2x4 and lay them down on wide face and screw into 4 foot square 3/4 inch plywood base, build it up like logs ,,crossing over at the corner ,,every other one will be different length...screw into each other and to 3/4 inch base ...you will end up with a very soilid corner.Then finish it with drywall,paneling,etc. Then seal speaker to the base and corner ,you will be surprised im sure of the results....with this set up you can then point the K-Horns into the room any way you want,,,you only need the false corner as high as the bass bin part of speaker.....just make one and try it next to what your using now to see if it improves.....i think it will be a lot better....and easier to make than you think....rick..p.s. let us know what you decide