Cables for KHorns

Hel Guedj

Hee hee we're off and running now.............

Many are convinced that exotic cables make a major difference to the sound of a system and as many more do not believe so.

I am a bit of a Mugwump ( a Mugwump is an animal that sits on a fence with its Mug on one side and its Wump on the other side 9.gif ) on this one as I have made a set of cables based on a design by Jon Risch and think they are decent . I am willing to concede that they seemed to be an improvement over my previous cables but I still cannot buy the argument that spending $1000.00 or more on a set of wires makes any sense - sonically or economically.

It is my opinion ( until someone can demonstrate otherwise ) a decent quality AWG12 or AWG10 wire with a high strand count is all anybody really needs.

You will I can assure you get contrary opinions from some others here.

Tbrennan : Large wire is called cable, like battery cable in your vehicle. I just couldn't imagine trying to use 4 awg cable for your speakers though. I would imagine that it has been used before, as parts express does sell binding posts that accept 4 awg cable. As for steel wire or wire rope, well that's another story...

Good cables don't have any 'air or transparency'. Nor should they. All you have to make sure is that its good quality, well constructed & has the proper gauge to transfer the voltage & current requirements the distance that you need to. Oxygen free copper, 12 gauge, stranded, is a good place to start. Anything else, is just making someone else, smile all the way to the bank.

"OHM" "OHM" 6.gif

Boy, this place has changed. We had so many people advocating super wire and I felt I was the only hold out for plain old wire.

I think our new friend in Paris may also be talking about pre amp to amp connectors also.

Essentially, I use lamp wire to the speakers and very old RCA to RCA connectors until I run out of old supplies. Every VCR and DVD comes with new, budget connectors, so it takes a while. Then I buy gold plated off the shelf units from Radio Shack. Reasonably priced.

Some of our British friends point out that what we know as Radio Shack is not present in Britian as RS; rather "Tandy". I have no idea what it is calls itself in Paris.

I'd like to point out that there are some downsides to the audiophile wire and connectors.

The Monster Wire RCA connectors have such a tight sleave that they are hard to push into the connection. Then, if you have to remove them, there is a possibility of damaging the amp or pre amp connector.

Big speaker wire has its own problems. It is difficult, just by reason of size, to fit it to the amp and the speaker. A smaller size works just as well.

Overall, I see no advantage to "super wire". So please do start with clean, tight connections of ordinary, off-the-shelf wire. If you want to test "better" wire, make sure you can borrow it. Then be very cautious that you want to hear a difference because it is more beautiful in appearance.

Given your appreciation of the K-Horns, I believe you will recognize that the magic is in the speaker, not the wire.

Best,

Gil