K-97-KV

Rockets

Anybody know the specs, or graph on these tweeters and (don't laugh) how they may match up against T-35a's? I know these were part of thier lowerer end Synergy series, but that doesn't mean they're crap either. Obviously the dispersion is wider, but that's not a bad thing either.

Is there a website similar to JBL's where you can see the spec's on past and present Klipsch drivers?

I've found some info on the t-35a, but not a damn thing on the K-97-KV. I've read where some feel the JBL 2404h is far superior to the T-35A, but so far that's not a cost effective option.

Thanks for the help.

Rockets

Given that the K-97-KV are designed/manufactured in house unlike the K-77 (T35) there is little chance that those specs will be already floating around. I didn't check if they are still the same units in the current model, but Klipsch normally are quite secretive on the T/S of current models.

Actually that is one of the benefits of the drivers offered to the DIY market, as their details specs are available.

Good luck with your project...

Rob

Rob, thanks for the input...I was afraid as much on the Klipsch spec's. Honestly, I'm a little afraid to use them as 1) I haven't heard them and 2) some have described them as "bright". Though there is no perfect speaker, brightness bugs me!

My project, is still in the 'kicking around idea's phase' at the moment, while I search for affordable pieces parts. Hopefully to create something with them will come later. Followed by becoming a pest on this forum begging for help when through my ignorance I FU!!

Q-man has me intrigued to say the least! I can't do a Khorn base, but a Lascala is feasable. Finding a decent mid, tweeter and Xover to make a Lascala on roid's is the next trick! I'd love to hear what he has!

Maybe now is a good time to set me straight on the K-33 vs. K-43. I've read conflicting posts as to the k-43 woofer. All ahve agreed it can handle more power, but how low can it go in a Lascala base? One post has stated the k-33 would go lower, while others have suggested the k-43 would be the best bet to use if one planned to open the dog house, seal the entire back, and dual 4" port.

Which brings up another question! (I'm thinking out loud here and exposing my ignorance) Why not use a true 15" subwoofer driver with a limited range of 25hz to 800hz or so to replace the k-33 if the crossover (and box design) cuts off the K-33 at 400hz anyway? Seems to me that it's a waste using such a full range driver, when the mid horn is taking its place. I haven't done an extensive search, so finding one where the spec numbers match or exceed the K-33 may be easier said than done.

Damn I intended to write just a few lines here...sorry!

Rockets

From a crossover perspective, that is very tricky indeed... as you'll have to choose a x-over point, the slope, and attenuation for a driver which you are unsure of its technical data. Unfortunately I'm not a x-over guru, although several members on here are very knowledgeable, and may be able to give some feedback on what can be done. It's not a question of just plugging the parts together though.

If you are after the heritage sound, I would try to hunt down both the K77 and K55 drivers... and improvise from there. This would insure that the signature Klispch sound is there. It may not sound inexpensive, but I have found that buying a set of beat up Heritage (could even be a Heresy) with the correct components probably cheaper than the separate pieces from a parts-vampire.

The woofer is horn loaded, so it doesn't behave the same as it would in an acoustic suspension, but I'm sure there are many alternatives that would work there... and the T/S parameters are known for the K33. I believe you are correct that the K33 will go lower... and I don't see the benefit of using the K43 even if you vent your enclosure... as the K33 works well in the vented Cornwall. You can also easily go with another woofer with similar efficiency without redesigning the x-over.

Beware that most "subwoofer" drivers have lower Fs (system natural frequency) and greater extension, but the tradeoff is low efficiency and a larger enclosure. This would involve a more drastic redesign.

I was originally looking to build a custom centre for my setup... and the cost of all the parts was adding up to more than a old set of Heresy with a blown woofer which I bought. Then I couldn't get myself to part them out, and ended up restoring them instead and I now have an inverted alnico Heresy centre.

Good luck...

Rob

Thanks Rob.

The more I read, the more I see just how much I 'don't know'. It looks like I'm at the cross roads of a long and expensive journey! I've been tempted to take the easy way out and buy a used pair of Lascala's (and may yet before this is over), but what I really 'want' (note don't "need") is a pair of highly efficent speakers that sound as natural as feasably possible. (I know, another fool off chasing the Holy Grail)

Right now I have some 80's vintage Altec bookshelf (large) that sound pretty damn good for what they are, but you can't push them. I mean to say they lose separation at volumes I shouldn't be listening to anyway! Overall their sound is 'balanced', not bright, not tinny, but do have to supplement their bottom end with a sub. Actually the vocals are rather clear. So much that on one occassion I had a party where the guest in another room had to go into the listening room to see just who was singing! I guess it was the beer, as they were expecting to find a live body! (guess you had to have been there) As far as your problem with your Heresy's, I'll face a similar issue with these Altec's! Too many speakers and not enough rooms!

I'm probably leaning toward building a set of modified Lascala bases. I've got a friend that's a pretty decent furniture maker, so playing with a few exotic veneers is a probability. More likely than not I'd keep the K-33, though I'm tempted for the price $36ea to try a pair of Emminence speakers that are 4 ohms, but supposedly are similar to their Delta series. This clearing house has them, got them from an insurance claim in "Arkansas" for a "speaker manufacturer"...HMmmmmmmm!

The K-77 and K-55 are up for grabs. I can't afford the Altec 311's so may have to settle for the 511b's. Would like to marry them to a set of 290-16's, but if the price is right for an ePay K-55 driver I may buy now and regret later!

The K-77 I don't know what to do. Finding a replacement tweeeter that's spec sheet is ruler flat or finding a way to subjectively listen/compare other Klipsch tweeters to the k-77 w/o having the saleman run my *** off for wasting his time... So I may end up keeping the k-77 as well.

RE: "Beware that most "subwoofer" drivers have lower Fs (system natural frequency) and greater extension, but the tradeoff is low efficiency and a larger enclosure. This would involve a more drastic redesign." I know you are correct in this, it just seems counterintuitive that them more air you can move the less efficent it would be. I guess I need to look at it like it takes a lot of horsepower to move that air instead.

The crossover, well I'll just cross over that bridge when I get to it. (sorry, couldn't help myself there!) Seriously, there seems to be an ample amount of usefull info on that subject, and some very knowledgeable individuals that I can hopefully get help from when the time comes.

I know these speakers won't be 'perfect', but I'm sure will be a significant upgrade over my present 'bookshelf' speakers.

Rob, thanks again for your input. I do appreciate it.

• 12 years later...