Questions from new KLF 30 owner

mace

My take on the cuttoff frequency diffs between the 20's and the 30's.

In a nutshell - power handling.

First the mid-range. Both speakers use the same mid-range driver, but the 30's must be able to handle more power. So I assume that explains the higher cutover to the mid-range you see in the 30's.

Next, the bass. Rather than focus only on the bass response curve as the curve at 1 watt, 1-meter, as you see in the specifications, think of the maximum output curves. The maximum output curves are limited by power handling capability (excursion and/or heat). You see, at higher output levels, I would expect to see the 30's significantly outperform the 20's in bass extension and output.

I could be wrong, but this explanation makes the most sense to me.

--Greg Dawson

I'm sorry, I meant 10 and 12" woofers. But the comparison is still the same, a 12" woofer has approx. 50% more area than a 10.

I have to be careful here because I'm making generalizations that can quickly fall apart as soon as other variables are added in. But here goes...

The efficiency gain of the KLF 30 is essentially a combination of a larger magnet, and most importantly, a larger cone. In the case of the KLF 10 and 20, the 20 gets its additional efficiency from just a larger magnet.

Both of these techniques try to accomplish the same thing, and that is to move more air. But at low frequencies the pressure build-up inside the cabinet will inhibit this and thus decrease low end performance relative to its midband efficiency. In other words, the cabinet is controlling the cones movement at low frequencies and therefore is the controlling factor of its cut-off frequency.

As effiency increases there has to be a corresponding increase in cabinet volume in order to maintain the same cut-off frequency. With small 6 1/2 and 8" drivers, a proportional increase in cabinet volume is easily tolerable. But when you get up to the size of 12 and 15" woofers the proportional increse in cabinet volume makes a significant difference in cabinet size and only so much of that is tolerable.

Kerry

KGeist,

I think that made sense... about the larger cabinets needed to get lower response for bigger woofers.

Now, onto more pertinent matters :biggrin ... supposedly these big bad 30's will get here on Tuesday.

Keeping my fingers crossed...

Mace

Thanks, Kerry, we needed that! And, Craig, your suspicion that the 30's will crank it up and still be clear (when compared to other Legends) is right on the ears! And, Mace, when I saw how FedEx Ground ground up my last set of KLF 30's (bumps, bruises, and a driver knocked loose of the horn) I double checked the label to see if it was a Keith "Oops" (UPS) job.

We are all awaiting your report on the "birth" of your twins and entry into the Legendary World of Klipsch. Hang in there dual 12" daddy... it ROCKS today! cwm5.gif HornEd

Well, now they get here on Friday...extremely aggrevating....

So, what exactly gets broken in with these things?? Does the sound really change after a couple of weeks? What exactly happens during breaking in?

And, by the way, a big thanks to HornEd, BobG and KGeist and the others for all the great info and advice. It makes waiting a little easier (although not by much). cwm23.gif

Mace

WOW!!! The speakers came in today and the store even delivered them to my house (they made a special trip to Indy to get them) free of charge... can't beat that! There was only one guy who delivered them and he carried them from the truck to the house (no dolly) by himself since I wasn't home at the time. Quite the accomplishment. Kudos to the store where I got them. Perhaps they saw these posts here and put 2+2 together at who I am and saw I couldn't wait much longer.

We were sorta suprised at the size of the things even though I knew how big they were. At any rate, we're getting used to them. cwm30.gif I had to put them way away from the TV, like a good 40 cm. The Bostons didn't have any problem getting close to the TV... guess that's why the 30's are a tad more efficient than the Boston's... big ol' magnets.

I will have a good chance for a listen tomorrow since I'll be home alone.

Happy days,

Mace

CONGRATULATIONS ON GETTING YOUR KLIPSCH EAR CANDY!

We are awaiting your intimate report on a day all alone with your loan awaited treasure. Don't forget to spend a little time on this BB so you can learn to:

Smile like a Boa Biggrin.gif

Pound MSRP like a Keith Smash.gif

And state the Klipsch case like a Gil cwm15.gif

but, most of all, keep at it until you can really do up the 15 inchers like Q!cwm43.gif

It has been fun watching you glow cwm40.gif HornEd

------------------

HornEd Legendary HT Herd

KLF 30 L&R Mains

KLF 30 Center

KLF 30 L&R Surrounds

KLF 30 Rear Surround

KLF 10 L&R Front Effects

Subs: KSW-15 + 3 KSW-12's

Speaker Support Systems:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65"

Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and more... Tweak On!

• 8 years later...

one thing that you didnt point out is the efficiency of both speakers. i forget where i remember reading this but its called iron law. go look it up.... it states that as a speaker gets more efficent its bass output will drop because bass cannot be produced as efficiently as the rest of the audio spectrum. in a nutshell bass cannot be reporduced efficentity in a small box. so because the klf-10 has a lower efficency it can be quoted as going "lower" but the reality is its still behind the other two speakers in actual bass output.

if you layed the frequency respone graphs from the KLF-30 and the klf 10 on the same graph the KLF-30 would have more output at 32hz than the 10 would. the only reason it it quoted only down to 36hz is because that is the -3db point. but even at -3db the klf 30 is at 99db which is still 1db ahead of the klf 10.

also someone said that the KLF-20 and the KLF-10 share the same ten inch woofers. thats untrue the drivers are different. the KLF-30 and the KLF-20 do share the mid and high drivers but thats all that is shared through the legend line.

ohh and KLF-30 speakers for the win :) i know i love mine.

and also congrats on your purchase. i picked up my pair recently on craigslist. good deal and they have been great so far.