Question on Bass Shakers

space_cowboy

Several of us have withstood the barbs from those-who-look-down-their-noses-at-such-non-audiophile-devices and have used them for fun. I used to have them on the bottom of my couch before I got my SVS sub. I believe the ones PE currently has are non-powered, so get yourself an old receiver and power them off that. They hook up using speaker level connections. You can use a y-adapter off your subwoofer output to split the signal to whatever you use to drive them with.

A receiver/integrated amp is good to power them because you can use the volume setting to adjust the intensity of the bass shaking.

Doug stole my thunder.

I tried mounting them directly to the frame but found the effect was weak. attaching them to the seat coils offered the best feeling. Be careful not to over power them or you will drive them into your butt.

using an old receiver will give you flexibility in controling balance and turning off certain shakers thru the A/B switch

Oh yeah... They are cool as hell. Not only are they fun but the VERY MUCH add to the movie experiance. With them you can also turn down your subs a little and because of the vibrations being given off by them, it still kinda tricks your mind into thinking that explosion was still loud. I wish I had some. Someday I want to get 3 buttkicker 2s but they are very expensive and you need a nuclear power plant to push them.

Bass shakers are definately a good addition to a subwoofer. I had two in my car, powered by a small kenwood amp. The ones I own are the pro version ( 50 watt ), aura ast-2b-04. I ordered two more from parts express this summer when they got another large shipment, but they are still in the package.

One of these days, I need to make the couch come alive during lfe content, but I am too busy right now. For power, these only need a modest amplifier to run. However, they can definately use a crossover to remove any higher frequencies from being reproduced. It definately wouldn't be cool to hear voices coming from under your couch. I would recommend a cheap integrated amplifier to drive these, as you can just use the sub out from your receiver, with a y connector, and the volume control on the amplifier will act as your gain. The level ( shake ) needs to be well balanced, so as not to be overpowering. When you get the setting right, the effect is unbelievable.

Sorry, m00n. I've only seen this theater from his site. I haven't had the pleasure of visiting it yet first hand. I'm sure I will some day. I'll let you know how it sounds then. I'm sure it's awesome. He is a perfectionist and I'm sure everything in his theater mirrors that image.

-Picky 2.gif