Miles Davis French Import?

garymd

About once a month I borrow about 20 jazz cds from the library (lots and lots available). Helps me decide what to buy now that I've been doing some serious jazz listening (mostly during my 3 hour daily commute). That's how I discovered "Something Else" and many others recently.

Last night I picked up another batch including a Miles Davis French import called "Ascenseur Pour L'echafaud," translated, "Lift To The Scaffold." No cover, just the disk.

Lots of great tunes on it, very bluesy. Some popular cuts such as "Nuit Sur Elysees," takes 1,2,3 and 4, "Diner Au Motel" and "Le Petit Bal" (take 2).2.gif

Any of you jazz dictionaries out there have this one? Allan, Kelly? I'm going to burn a copy for sure.

miles_scaffold.jpg

Some interesting background on this recording as it was Miles' work with a mostly European back up for Louis Malle's Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud soundtrack (his very first feature) in late 1957 in Paris. Miles evidently actually composed this while watching the film. It's a great recording and still in issue and features a throwback to the early sound of Miles. Kenny Clarke does nice work here too as well as Pierre Michelot. Recommended purchase for anyone.

Miles Davis - trumpet

Barney Wilen - tenor sax

Rene Urtreger - piano

Pierre Michelot - bass

Kenny Clarke - drums

Nice find from ye olde library.

If you want me to help you with a cover/titles for your CD, drop me a mail.

kh

Gary, I did want to add that it's great to see people trying new music, pushing their boundaries not only in the purchase of new gear but also NEW types of music. First, there is nothing better than finding new music that moves you, this ultimately far bettering the new gear treadmill, in my view.

Your exploration in jazz will ultimately be even more rewarding than your next big gear find, a lesson lost on many. And you are finding some great stuff.

As a distant secondary benefit, it will also allow you more material to better understand the nuances of your gear's performance.

kh

Thanks Kelly. This has been extremely enlightening. I was so bored with the same old music and nothing new was really doing anything for me. I now have a whole new world of music to explore and its been a great experience. I'm looking forward to you and Allan putting something together to help us out. I've been through probably 100 cds/lps so far but I know there's much more I haven't discovered.

For others in the same situation, go to the library! There are so many jazz selections in the 3 different counties I visit. It can certainly narrow down your purchases to those you know you like. Not every recommendation is necessarily going to float your boat.

Kelly,

I'll shoot you an email shortly. Thanks again.

----------------

On 9/26/2003 4:00:35 AM mobile homeless wrote:

miles_scaffold.jpg

Some interesting background on this recording as it was Miles' work with a mostly European back up for Louis Malle's
Ascenseur Pour L'Echafaud
soundtrack (his very first feature) in late 1957 in Paris. Miles evidently actually composed this while watching the film. It's a great recording and still in issue and features a throwback to the early sound of Miles. Kenny Clarke does nice work here too as well as Pierre Michelot. Recommended purchase for anyone.

Miles Davis - trumpet

Barney Wilen - tenor sax

Rene Urtreger - piano

Pierre Michelot - bass

Kenny Clarke - drums

Nice find from ye olde library.

If you want me to help you with a cover/titles for your CD, drop me a mail.

kh

----------------

In this particular case, it's interesting to have BOTH the LP and the Fontana CD reissue with lots of alternate takes. It' s also interesting as you have the original tracks not mixed with the reverb.

On side B of the Mercury LP pressing you'll find the soundtrack of "Des Femmes qui Disparaissent" from Art Blakey. Which is really good too.

Ascenseur pour l'échafaud is a superb film too.