Ports on the RS7s

m00n

What I have for this is my receivers test tones, I also have the avia home theater DVD, and I think it was formica who posted a bunch of frequency tones but they are not on disk or anything yet. I can burn them onto disk tonight.

In order for me to play the test tones that formica provided the forum I will have to play them in logic 7 as I doubt they were recoreded for 5.1.

Some questions

=============================

Do you have any suggestions as to what of the three I should use? My theater is already balanced to my sweet spot

Do you want one speaker at a time or all at once?

Any particular frequency?

artto has some good points. Just for referrence, I will tell you what I did, besides spend a lot of time analysing my room. I used a few computer programs to forecast the problem frequencies in my room. I then focused on treating only those frequencies, as well as the first reflections.

From my reading on the subject, it is very difficult and expensive to totally treat a room properly. I worked on just the basics to reduce the major standing waves as predicted by my room dimensions and the early reflections. As artto mentions, it is important to not just absorb frequencies, but you must also diffuse frequencies. Otherwise, you will end up with an anechoic chamber, and things don't sound very natural in there.

In my case, I used a sound meter and a couple of test disks to work on the predicted trouble frequencies. I also used treatments that were not permanent in nature. My room is not that large, 14x27, so large permanent objects were something I wanted to avoid. There are also the pricing considerations as well as availability of these treatments. If I recall from your pictures, your room is rectangular, that should make the calculations fairly easy with the readily available programs out there. There is also an Excel spreadsheet that does the calculations for you.

I wholly encurage you to play with these concepts. I learned a lot about sound during the process. Enjoy the journey.

Now, if I could only get my wife to let me place an absorber on the angled wall over my right main speaker I'd be home free.

Moon, you don't have to go through all that trouble. This is not that kind of a 'test'. I'm just trying to show you something & this is the first step. You can use your favorite music or movie. If you feel more comfortable repeating the same tracks, go ahead, but it's not really necessary.

And for this particular 'exercise', using individual test tones, such as sine waves for instance, is not a good idea. I suggested white and/or pink noise for now because they are 'broadband' and contain a wide range of random frequencies, very much like music. Individual test tones are difficult to measure with any accuracy that is meaningful in a reverberant sound field.