Harman Kardon AVR 230

NIUHuskies

Hello

After spending a good deal of time viewing these forums with out posting, I decided that I would save for a HK 225 to power a set of SF-2's. (I don't have those yet, but soon hopefully) That was until I heard about the new 230. kenratboy posted pictures of HK's new line (130, 230, 330, 430, and 630) These can be found on the General Questions fourm about 35 posts in, (second page.) I am asking what everyone's thoughts on the 230 is? Also does anyone have any idea of an avalibality date? The pages that kenratboy links to are not shown on the HK website - offically. Cricuit City doesn't know when they will be in stock - but the "head offices are buying them from the manufacturer," according to a CC salesman. Would it be better to buy a 225 at a discount (as salesman try to empty their stock of a discontinued model) or wait for the 230? Thanks for any information / ideas.

Matt,

No I have not dealt with this company before, but I have heard good things about their customer service.

I plan on buying either a 525 or a 7200 before Xmas from them so I was just checking on my options.

The 230 looks to be comparable with the current 325 and at a cheaper price.

Regards,

Greg

----------------

actually, the 325 weighs approx 40lbs. the 230 weighs approx 27lbs. the 325 has to have way a way bigger p/s than the 230.

----------------

OK, I did some thinking and came up with this, correct me if I'm wrong. The 230 weighs 27 pounds and drives five channels or 5.4 pounds per channel... at a cost of $500 (retail.) The 325 weighs 40 pounds and drives 7 channels or 5.714 pounds per channel... at a cost of $800 (also retail.) That sounds about right doesn't it? A step up in price, a step up in amplification power, or in this particular context, weight.

the 230 has 6 channels, the 325 has 7. i think the 430 is closer to the replacement for the 325. has more watts, but basically the same features. one thing the 430 has that i would kill for, software upgrades through the RS232 port. it's only used for second room control on the 325.

btw-the reason i'm satisfied with the watts from the 325? i have a full Heresy HT.