Shipping Damage & Resale Value

merk

Hey Folks,

I need an appraisal value from some of you resident experts in the field. I purchased a pair of black KLF-30's advertised as "flawless" from a seller on ebay. I received the speakers packed in original boxes with additional packing around the body. The speakers arrived with significant damage, check out the link:

http://www.hpphoto.com/servlet/com.hp.HPGuestLogin?username=merkleyla&password=60634821

I contacted Klipsch and they do not offer new cabinets nor will they repair damaged ones. The UPS rep visited today and determined the packing was sufficient. I have been unable to get a local business to commit to repair so I need to determine the current value so I can settle with the seller. All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Merk

I would settle for no less than the purchase price if you are not planning to keep the speakers. It looks like they took a good beating in a number of areas. They could probably be touched up to look presentable with a little bit of work. As you state the speaker are in unrepairable condition since parts or service are not available for them. If your plan is to keep the speakers I would still expect most of my money back, hard to provide you an exact appraisal since you did not state what you paid for them nor what they sold for new (full retail). Man that is certainly a shame though, such nice speakers treated with little or no care or regard. You think with what UPS pays there people they would exhibit a little better customer care and service.

I feel your pain. That has happened to me twice. Onece on a subwoofer by UPS. The seller took the sub to a UPS Store for packing, shipping and manhandling. They were real professionals at the last two. I contacted UPS, they came and looked at it and said that the packing was not adequate. UPS packed it. I was informed that the insurance, purchased at extra cost by my the buyer, is owned by the seller and covers him. I got an email from him the other day and he has still not heard from UPS. It's been about four months. I have since repaired the damage and veneered the sub.

The second instance was carried out by FEDEX. Same deal they dropped threw and otherwise ruined a pair of KG 4.5s. I notified the seller who called FEDEX. No response to date. Two months.

Looks like two cases for small claims court. I am retired and have nothing better to do. I'll probably wait until after deer season though. A man must have his priorities.

One sucess story. I got a set of Hereseys from a guy in Fla. He packed them verywell in a pair of JBL boxes. And even UPS could not manage to mangle them despite their best efforts.

Looking at your KLFs damage I would insist on full reimbursement and to keep the drivers.

Rick