They Don't Call It Jazz

boomac

"The Moody Men Who Play the New Music"

Picked this up at a garage sale. I'm not sure I would call it jazz either. Pretty weird stuff.

The Heliocentric Worlds of SUN RA vol, 1

ESP-DISK' 1014 Monaural

Anybody know anything about this?

post-11564-1381924968091_thumb.jpg

----------------

On 10/3/2003 7:00:59 PM boomac wrote:

"The Moody Men Who Play the New Music"

Picked this up at a garage sale. I'm not sure I would call it jazz either. Pretty weird stuff.

The Heliocentric Worlds of SUN RA vol, 1

ESP-DISK' 1014 Monaural

Anybody know anything about this?

----------------

You have a PM........

Not only is it jazz, it's SUPERSONIC JAZZ!

One of the greatest tenor saxophonists of all time is in those grooves--John Gilmore.

I don't like to talk about Sun Ra to the unappreciative--it's simply not worth it. Listen closely and listen often and see if you hear what I hear.

Thanks for the info guys.

I Just finished listining to Getz's "West Coast Jazz" and the "Mulligan meets Webster" gig that Kelly recommended. Not sure I'm ready for SUN RA tonight but I will try to give it a fair chance very soon.

BTW, I also picked up what I thought was all Swedish Jazz only to find out Curtis Counce is on the bass and Victor Feldman plays the vibes. It's titled, Bert Dahlander and His Swedish Jazz - SKAL. Funny that these were the only jazz LPs in this guys collection.

Today, at the salvation Army, I picked up a perfect copy of Lionel Hampton "Newport Uproar" recorded live at the Newport Jazz Festival in July, 1967. On the jacket it says "As the crowd roars ecstatically at the end of this record, the awed producer george Wein is heard 'This hasn't happened since Duke...' he begins, casting back in his mind to 1956 and the nearest comparable triumph." Of coarse he was refering to Duke Ellington. Just so happens that another LP I picked up today is " Ellington at Newport". Reci\orded at Newport, RI, on July 7, 1956. This one needs a good cleaning before I can play it. But, if it is as good as the Hampton set..........

Rick

Allen & Kelly,

"They Don't Call It Jazz" was a direct quote from a guy named Robert Ostermann. An article that he had written for the National Observer on June 7, 1965 was reprinted on the inside sleeve. It's very interesting reading and

Albert Ayler and his brother Don were mentioned along with Gary Peacock, Cecil Taylor, Byron Allen, Milton Graves and others. The article was titled, "The Moody Men Who Play the New Music."

Picked this up for $5 used today,

2002-03-11-14-40-37.jpg

Turns out to be a GREAT sampler for free jazz, with Alice Coltrane, Pharoah Sanders, John Coltrane, Oliver Nelson, Max Roach, Charles Mingus, Archie Shepp. Wanted to point folks to a purchase site, but found it to be out of print. Aside from some classic cuts, it's sonically one of the best Impulse titles I've encountered. Here is track list:

Red Hot on Impulse 1961-1971

1. Journey in Satchidananda performed by Alice Coltrane - 6:30

2. The Creator Has a Master Plan performed by Pharoah Sanders / Thomas - 9:08

3. Love Supreme, Pt. 1: Acknowledgement performed by John Coltrane - 7:46

4. A Love Supreme performed by John Coltrane - 7:01

5. Astral Traveling performed by Smith, Lonnie Liston - 5:45

6. Stolen Moments performed by Oliver Nelson - 8:42

7. Garvey's Ghost performed by Max Roach - 2:57

8. Hora Decubitus performed by Charles Mingus - 4:41

9. Upper and Lower Egypt performed by Pharoah Sanders - 6:00

10. Le Matin Des Noire performed by Archie Shepp - 7:42

11. Blue Nile performed by Alice Coltrane - 7:00