$10k to spend...

cyclones22

Well...here goes:

I don't have much to offer on the visual part, but for audio, the following would be my suggestions:

Klipsch Reference 7 series all around: RC-7 center, RF-7 front and Rear, or RS-7 if the RF-7 are not practical due to space limitations. For speaker cables: Monster 2.4 bi-wire is a good choice.

For amplification, the Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pro's, used as balanced monoblocks, will give you as much amplification as you need with the RF-7's, plus headroom to spare. Its a fine amp for music reprorduction as well, if your system will see dual use. You will need balanced interconnects: a solid silver interconnect would be a good match between the pre/pro and the Monarchy's, and your choices here are many.

For pre/pro - the Carver Theater Grand, in its most recent incarnation, is hard to beat, and should meet all your needs for mutliple formats.

My Current Home Movie and Music Reproduction System Wish list

1. High definition TV projector(if such a thing exists)

2. Tube based DVD/DVD-A/SACD/CD player (if such a thing exists)

3. 5.1 channel tube pre-amplifier (if such a thing exists)

4. Five flea-powered 2A3 tube Wright or Wellborne monoblock amplifiers

5. four big ole Klipsch corner horns

6. four ALK custom crossovers

7. Cornwall center and rear channel

8. four 18 woofers built into the ceiling, with 500 watts each

9. dual RSW-15 subs

10. Bass shakers for each loveseat

11. love seats for four couples

12. acoustic traps for room anomalies

13. automatic floor to ceiling curtains

14. insulated walls

15. 20-amp circuit to the room

Otherwise, 52 TV, Denon 5.1 receiver and Klipsch Reference series, including RSW subs and dual SVS Ultra subwoofer tubes, with 500 watts each

6.gif

10 grand to spend,great at least U can allocate a few green bills for quality.1.gif

1. TV/rear projection TV

Here I would seek the Toshiba 16/9 if CRT draws you in.You should find a good unit for under 2K.

If rear projection TV suits you best(larger screen)again I would go Toshba and maybe look at Sony,Samsung has good units too.From 2.5-3K should get you a real nice unit.

2. DVD/DVD-A/SACD player

Sony or Pioneer here,Any SOny ES or Pioneer Elite will give you A1 image quality and very good sould quality.To best these units you need to go BIG ticket units costing much more,and gains are small.So 1-2K should get you a high quality unit and that will last.

3. Receiver/prepro-amp

If the receiver route is taken be sure to get an upgradable receiver like the B&K(sounds so good you dont realy need any power amp at all)or the new Pioneer 47,the Pioneer is also a great sounding unit and built to last.Here 2-3K will be eaten,but this is THE HEART of your HT,do NOT SKIMP here.

or

Pre/pro and power amp,since the budget is 10K for all,spending wise is a must to keep a good balance.

I woild check Outlaw and ATI units,here the primary gain is in the amp section.A 4K chunk may be eaten with ease,and remember high-end receivers from B&K and Pioneer offer most of the quality for less(one box fits all,not multiple chassis).

4. Speakers and ...SUB(9.gif )

Its a Klipsch website so as a true Klipscher I will recomend Klipsch.6.gif

depending on the size(I imagine you have a good size room)I wiuld get RF7's as mains.RC7 for center(nothing less,a quality center channel is paramount in any HT)

For sourrounds I would get two pairs of RS7's(if 5.1 one set will do).

So 5K for the monitor and DVD/DVD-A/SACD player.Two grand eaten by the receiver.We have...damn a paltry 3 left! 15.gif

I am sure if you buy it all from the same dealer you would get a great price and fir all the parts including cables for 9K

Leaving ~$1000 for the..SUB.The subwoofer is a MUST for any serious HT system.

Here I recomend the SVS PB2-ISD or if you at all can(stretch just a bit or deal hard on the rest)get if you can the PB2-Plus.

Now you have a great rear projection TV,a high quality multiformat optical reader,a solid receiver iwth ample switching and amplification.Plus a serious set of speakers and to crown it all.A great foundation by SVS.

What more can you ask for?

Oh yes you say WHERE ARE THE CABLES? Well if you spend that much money the dealer better give you some quality Monster Cable or Tributairies interconects and speaker cables.

With 10K you can get a splendid little(not so little)HT capable of great performance for years.After you set it up the smile on your face will be very hard to hide.Then pop in LOTR,Matrix or Gladiator and enjoy.