Rear Surround recommendations for Kg2

bobw235

I am looking for some suggestions on surround speakers for my present setup. I have a pair of old Kg2 speakers for my mains, and last year added an RC-3 Center and an KSW 12 for my sub. I've been using a pair of Kg1.2 bookshelf speakers for the rear pair, but am looking for suggestions on a true surround set. These are all hooked up to a Denon AVR-3300 receiver.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob

So what's the problem? Sounds like you have the perfect rears for that main channel set-up.

If you are looking for better use with pro-logic, and/or want a more "unlocalized" rear channel sound, you would go with the SS1s, but for the price, I would suggest keeping those 1.2s They are great speakers.

I have a set of KG 1s that I use with my 5.5s, and I couldn't be happier.

T-man

bobw235,

To better your home theater experience, you need to foucs on replacing that RC-3 with a center channel speaker that truely matches your KG2s (and thus the KG1.2s)!! Find yourself a KV2 or better yet a KV3 to replace that poor-mathcing RC-3. In a pinch you can go with a KV1 (but note a KV4 will NOT be a good match). If you watch around here and eBay you should be able to pick up a used KV center with ease.

Numerous past posts here, which are now gone when they recently deleted the old posts, support my claim that the RC-3 is a less than good match for the KG series! Ask around and you'll see. On the other hand a KV2 or KV3 would be an ideal match -- and having your three front speakers match is VERY crucial to achieveing a good home theater experience (much more so than worrying about rear speakers)!

Oh, I concur with t-man that your current rear speakers are a good match especially for listening to discrete surround (like DD5.1 and DTS soundtracks)!

Many thanks for the replies. I'd been anticipating moving the present system to another room, where there would not have been enough space to place my present rear speakers. Had been thinking I'd have to get a true surround speaker pair. It looks like the SS-1 might be a good match from what I've read. As for the center channel, it's barely a year old, but seems to do the job. Unfortunately, when I was at Tweeter, they only had two Klipsch centers, and this one sounded best (and cost more of course.)

You are right though, the Kg1.2's sound excellent, especially in this setup.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Bob