burn in time for rf-7's

ncsubum

Fish, i see that you have the avr3803...i was really close to buying the 4803 when i got the 7's...they had it misslabled at 1,200 from 2,500...how do you like your 3803? does it sound smooth and hmm...tame w/your 7's? When i listened to it (b/c the 4803 wasn't connected for some reason) on the rf-5's they had in the demo room it sounded awsome, but so does my yamaha on the 5's, so i really didn't know if it was the amp or just the speakers.

NC,I am very happy with the 3803pre/1205a-amp and 7's combo.Ovation allows 1 year trade up and I tried all speaks under 3k in that first year,some I really liked,but none could equal the 7's for detail.I listen to mostly rock,Joe Satriani,Zeppelin,any killer guitar rock,and the 7's always perform well.I do have a rather large room,about 520 sq ft,not sure how that effects the 7's,its the only room I have had them in.I would say yes they are smooth,I have owned other horn speakers in this same room that were not.My local Ovation will loan equipment for home demo,if its possible it may be worth a trial run with another avr before you give up on the 7's.They do have the capability to sound fantastic,thats for sure.

I'm actually starting to enjoy them a lot more...

maybe i am just fooling myself into thinking they sound better, but one of my favorite things to do is set the sleep timer on my amp when i'm going to bed for like 30 min, and listen to music at a really low level. the 5's sounded very full, and even played the low notes well at very low volumes. at first the 7's didn't do that, but i believe now they are doing that just as well as that 5's did, if not better. i have had them playing music pretty much non-stop since i hooked them up, and i really do believe in the break-in.

should it be fantasy or reality that they sound better, i really don't know...but either way i like it...or it could just be the multiple glasses of wine i had last night while listening/playing to/with them.

I feel like my 5's are the neglected middle child now, cause they are just sitting there not hooked up 5.gif i'm going to have to move my bathroom door so it opens to the bathroom instead of into my bedroom (yeah, i have the handicap bathroom thats massive) because if i were to use the 5's as rears i know that somebody would slam the door into them, and i would go to jail for administering the worst beating of their lives.

what styles of music do you think sounds the best w/the 7's? I listen to pretty much everything (i'm not a big country fan, but i listen to it sometimes b/c it sounds so good).

anyway, thanks again for the posts

I have had my RF7's now for 1 1/2 yrs. I no the rest do not agree but to me there was a definite brek-in period. The time span seems like abot 1 week or about 45 hrs. listening time. These speakers are also very sensitive to your amp selection. I started with a Yamaha and found the sound to be way to bright. Tested NAD and Marantz. Finalized on the Marantz and boy what a difference. As the others have stated positioning is also improtant but not as important as the amp. I hear things on recording with these speakers that I never heard on others. Give it a little time and I think you will be a fan.