Talk Me Out of Buying Monsoon MM-2000s!

I have driven myself crazy w/ reviews and demos. I love the power of the Klipsch 4.1 system But recently I had a CompUSA manager setup a set of Klipsch 4.1 and Monsoon MM-2000s (also a 4.1 system) connected to the same CD player. Once again, while the Klipsch power is impressive and has greater volume over the MM-2000 system the Highs & Mids on the MM-2000 are so clear and exceptional that I had a hard time listening to the Klipsch again without it feeling as though I had cotton in my ears. While the Klipsch sub has great power its alittle Boomy. The MM-2000's sub has a more natural sound. Sure, Klipsch is the best at reproducing explotions and gun blasts for gaming but that kind of affect is not natural or ment to be heard in Music. I mostly listen to music (classical, jazz, blues, which demands clearity) and play WWII dogfighting sims on the weekend. I watch DVDs on my computer about once or twice a month and therefore I'm not to temped by Klips offer of their upcoming 5.1 system unless I have a chance to hear it and the new subwoofer's lows well out-perform the highs of the MM-2000. I want sound quality and not quantity with suround sound. The best of both worlds would be nice but I'm in a small one bedroom apartment so how much volume would I need?

Anyways, I want to know why I'm the odd-ball who has not fallen head-over-heals for Klipsch 4.1s. Have you just never had a chance to listen to Monsoon MM-2000s? Don't get me wrong. I think that Klips sound great but they are not the best especially when MM-2000s are only around $215 online and klips can't be touched for less than $279. If all I did was gaming I would buy Klips b/c of the dynamic explosions. But thats not the case with me. I want quality, quality, quality sound. Has any one reading this heard a MM-2000 system? Have you heard it next to a Klip system? I know at some point this comes down to personel taste but all the passers-by at my CompUSA test heard what I heard and said the Monsoons where clearer and more accurate. The CompUSA employees were alittle frustrated with the results of my test too sense they all owned Klips. They kept trying to turn up the Klips to show me how much louder they are when the MM-2000s were already making my ears bleed! So please challenge me on this so I can be certain. What do you think!

that's extremely true!!!!

slaz13 summed it all up!

i like my music with alot of bass so i got the 4.1

go with your personal preference since you got a chance to test them both out and you like the mm-2000 go with it!

what was that one saying that i read on 3dsoundsurge?

i forgot what it was... well the main point of it was something that may sound like heaven to one person but it may sound like hell to another person.

so its was something like that oh well you get my point

just make you sure you don't regret your decision.

------------------

bass beats melody

By all meens, if you like the Monsoons sound better go with them.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Klipsch Pro Media v2 400 ( soon to be 4.1 )

2 Fisher STV-873's on front channel

2 Fisher surrounds on rear channel

The saying to which deaf guy refers is in MarkMs review of the ProMedia V.2-400 (and perhaps his ProMedia vs. Crossfire review as well) at 3dss.com. Heres a portion:

-----

Quote:

In doing my research for our ProMedia - Crossfire article, I came across a great quote that I will paraphrase to sum this section up - that is "one persons clarity is someone elses harshness". That is, while there clearly is right and wrong when it come to acoustic accuracy but there is no right and wrong when it comes to taste

-----

Some people do find the ProMedias MicroTractrix Horns harsh, especially during the initial break-in period. Perhaps the up-front & center sound that these help produce is the reason for your perception that the highs were more exceptional on the Monsoons, because technically the Monsoons have a significant roll off in the upper frequencies as compared to the ProMedias (due to the latter having separate tweeters).

I am surprised that you would have a similar perception with regard to the midrange, unless the ProMedia set you auditioned was one of the original V.2-400s (which were somewhat lacking in the midrange). This is quite possible; I have noticed that a number of stores continue to have a V.2-400 as their display model. If this was the case I would recommend giving one of the new ProMedia models an audition, because they are much more musical than the original.

One other technical point worth mentioning is that the ProMedias are exceptional with regard to the crossover between the sub and sats (behaving like much larger speakers in this respect see the 3dss ProMedia 2.1 review for details), whereas the Monsoons have a relatively high crossover. This tends to muddy up stereo and positional effects (and consequently the sound stage) in about the 100-250 hz range, but is partially offset by the fact that the Monsoon flat panel technology excels in this respect above about 250 hz.

In his ProMedia 2.1 review MarkM points out that although the sub-sat crossover is impressive from the above standpoint, it does produce a different sound that some may not like. So again, it comes down to personal preference. Just make sure you have heard a current ProMedia. Im sure youll be very happy with either set.

I'm hoping the New sub will be alot better at reproducing the sound.

Heres a way to test the subs.

Ask if you can do this first.

You have the Pros and the Monsoons both hooked up. Unhook all the speakers.

Then just the Subwoofer will be playing.

I did this when I started hooking up my Pro's to test my Sub.

Then switch between the two. Which ever one sounds best to you, buy that one. If its the Sub thats going to make the big difference.

I recomend you using slow Classical music, with alot of Cello solo's and some Bass solos... or atleast where you can hear the 2 over the Violins and Violas.

And a good recording is also recomended.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

There's a Doctor Rebate character on eBay that has been selling ProMedia 4.1s with a huge rebate. I don't know if he is an authorized retailer. If you don't mind putting a lot of money up front and waiting a few months for the rebate the final cost is about half of what you would pay anywhere else, and I believe he throws in a few freebies to sweeten the deal. Might be an option to consider if optimizing the "bang for the buck" is going to be a major concern.

.... First I would talk to others that have delt with him in the past, just to make sure he is for real. I have seen the stuff, but I'm not sure about the whole thing...

Be careful if you decide to go that way.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Yes, by all means get as much information as you can and be careful. I do know that he delivers on the merchandise - and will even add an additional freebie if he isn't able to do so in a timely manner. The question is whether he will deliver on the rebate months down the road. I would also be concerned about whether he is an authorized dealer. Anyone with more info and/or experiences?

Yea thats one thing you wanna make sure about.

Make sure he is a Authorized dealer.

Make sure where ever you buy either speakers from, that they are authorized dealers.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

• Moderators

Doctor Rebate is NOT an authorized dealer. We are unable to get a hold of them, which is never a good sign either.

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

You know what though i have the promedia 4.2s which contain the 2 6 1/2 subs in their own boxes with 130watt amps each. I think these subs are great and do not know if I would need 2 8s. I like the subs in their own boxes cause i had the v.2 400s before. But really i love my 4.2s and im so happy with them. They bump!

I wanted to respond to Dr. Sevrin,

I was listening to the Klipsch 4.1 system when testing them out in my first responce above but, I do need to admit that after going back to CompUSA where the Monsoon MM-2000 vs. Klipsch 4.1 Demo is still setup I was missing something. After reading several topics on this forum it seemed that Klipsch speakers must be listened to and examined at high volume levels. I have now spent a lot of time listening to the Klipschs Loud! I do confess that the over all sound is much richer than the MM-2000s. I still love the clairty of the highs on Monsoons and am a little more drawn to them by there recent $215 price tag.

While the Klipsch sounds richer they seem a little more cluttered sounding and I live in an apartment were I have received complaints about my measly little under powered 2.1 Altec Lancings before. I know this "cluttered" sound as to do with the extremely directional and focused sound of the Monsoons compaired to the Klipschs and not that anything is wrong with the Klips. Yes, you are correct, the midrange is much more present w/ Klips than w/ the Monsoons. There was an odd kind of stereo panning phaser effect at the end of a Dave Mathews Band song on their new album that the MM-2000s could not reproduce very well at all while the Klips produced the sound very loud and accurately.

So, hear is my new dilemma.

I can get MM-2000s with very nice rear speaker stands and shipping charges for the price of the Klipschs before tax or shipping depending on how they are bought. I can certainly live with the lower out-put of the MM-2000s but, will I be plagued by hearing the subtle faults of its midrange performance over Klipsch's?

I'll be a constant source of annoyance with my neighbors if I buy the Klipsch b/c higher volumes are the only way they are ment to be listened to. So, I would be limmited to only certain times of the day and week when I could REALLY listen to Klip's richer sound.

Or, I can forget all my concerns about price, performance, my neighbors, etc. and just get the new and upcoming Klipsch 5.1 system if its sub is as good as it sounds like it will be.

Really, I don't think the 5.1 is an option b/c I would have to get a new soundcard for 5.1 decoding (thats another $80 minimum)and then those rear speaker stands from Klip (Ouch! another $100). That totals more than $600 after shipping or tax!!!

Is there a cheaper place to get the Klips' rear speaker stands? I don't see them at retailers, are they only through Klipsch web store?

Thanks,

Brad

A confused undecided Audiophile!

Keep in mind that unless you were able to audition the speakers in a sound room you will likely have somewhat different impressions of these sets at home in a smaller area.

Up to a point most speakers tend to sound better with increasing volume. The ProMedias do, however, distinguish themselves from the majority of multimedia speakers at extreme volumes. Few can go as loud, and most that can approach the same level distort long before they get there. The sheer power is truly astounding: I keep my 4.1 subwoofer dial at about 9 oclock (roughly 20%) and the Windows volume at 25%, and I start getting requests to turn it down when the Main Volume dial hits 8 or 9 oclock (about 10-20%), depending on the sound source! This is likely to be highlighted on a large, open, display floor, but ends up being of little practical significance in setting such as mine, where a 50% main volume setting literally blows people away at the opposite end of the house!

What you are unlikely to pick up on an open display floor is that the ProMedias also scale extremely well at low volumes, so that the bass remains in balance with the mids and highs. With many multimedia systems the bass either becomes overwhelming or it gets overwhelmed at lower listening levels, and you need to adjust the subwoofer volume (if available) or play with an equalizer of some sort. While I enjoy cranking the volume from time to time, most of the time Im listening to music at lower volumes, and Im very happy with my 4.1s performance.

This is not to say anything one way or the other about the Monsoons (which I have not heard I imagine they are excellent performers), but just to say that while the ProMedias certainly kick *** at high volumes, they are also excellent at low volumes in a typical home/office setting.