AE-1 alert for those looking for a preamp

sprocket

Mike does EXCELLENT work and is one of the most meticulous craftsman I have dealt with. I have nothing but respect for Mike Paschetto. His turntable is so well-built, it's a joy to use. HE just got some great comments from the last VSAC and the Bottlehead room in which he was the main source, got a vote for "Best Sound at Show" from Positive Feedback magazine.

For those that dont know his turntable, it's worth a look. I have been enjoying it in my system for the last six months and it's the best built piece of gear I own, bar none.

http://www.progressive-engineering.com

pe_table3.jpg

Sprocket, what did he do to your Moondogs?

kh

Kelly

The crackling noise from my Moondogs started slowly and progressed to the point that made one of them too scary to use. Now that they'er fixed, I realize the trouble started after a lot of tube rolling with some realy good NOS tubes.

As Mike investigated the wiring and solder joints without finding anything, He turned his attention to the the full collection of tubes that I provided with the amps. I had given him the original Sovtek tubes ( which still played without trouble ) and the NOS tubes which intermittently caused the crackling noise especially in one of the amps.

While working the problem, Mike used a micromter to compare the pin sizes of the NOS and Sovtek tubes (which Welborne supplies with the Moondog kits).

The Sovetek tubes measured larger and had stretched the contacts of the input tubes sockets. Mike cleaned and tweaked the socket contacts and forbid me to use the Sovtek tubes ever again.

Kelly, I can hear you now... "Oh Lordy, I told you those Sovetek's bite".

Reg

post-7094-1381924993027_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

What are the most musicality tubes (6SN7?/Brand) for the AES AE-1?

This unit is a gem for the price (almost new). Professional factory-wired with premium-quality parts and built like a tank (quite heavy). The workmanship is exceptional. I guess I am the lucky one 1.gif.