K'Horn updates

Bubbaone

Several years ago I bought a pair of K'Horns. A while later I checked with Klipsch and was told thay could be updated with panels (bass and mid) from Klipsch for $175 each. Do they still do this? I know they will probably cost more now. S/N's are 7N381 and 7N382

Thanks,

Bubba

You have 1975 Klipschorns, considered by many to be from the "Golden Age" (or at least silver) of K-Horn production. Don't mess with them, unless something is broken. A lot of the "upgrades" were to compensate for changes in drivers when PWK's first choices were no longer available, or to allow higher power handling - not necessarily to improve the sound. Leave 'em alone.

If you're not happy with the sound, make sure both tweeters are working - you might not have noticed that they're out, only that you don't listen as much as you used to...

Cappy gets my vote on this one !

The only electronic upgrade I have applied to my 1982 Khorns was to revert my Type AA Xovers to a Type A configuration and the improvement is clearly audible. Yours will have the Type A given their manufacturing date.

I also damped the exterior of my midrange horns and this provided an improvement but frankly disabling the Xener diodes and eliminating the HF inductor in the Tweeter circuit made a much more impressive improvement upon the sound.

My recommendation therefore is to leave your Type A Xovers as is and damp your midhorns with dynamat ( Stupidly expensive ) or Butyl Rubber Tape from your local RV dealer.

BTW it can be found as "Plumber's Tape" at about $1.00/ft or as Butyl Tape at about $ 6.00 for a 25' roll.

I also agree with the other responses. Having worked for 2 large Klipsch dealers in a technical capacity for over 20 years, and having owned Klipschorns since 1971, I would suggest that you check the crossover capacitors in your 1975 models. Around that time they changed to cheap yellow mylar caps (from oil-filled). Several customers who bought Khorns (and other Klipsch models) during that time period requested oil-filled caps. I upgraded many Klipsch speakers to oil-filled, and there was a noticable improvement in the sound. You might consider looking into oil-filled caps (or other high quality types).

-Dave