Dared MP-7 SET Integrated Class-A Amplifier

neo33

Has anyone listen to this amp? Anyone ever seen or heard of it? How much does it cost? Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

MP-7.jpg

MP-7b.jpg

Power: 7W/channel

Power Tube: 6L6G/350B

Meter Tube: EM87

Frequency Response: 20-25KHz +/-1.5dB

THD: <2%

S/N: >85dB

Input Sensitive: 400mV/100KOhm

Input Impedance: 100KOhm

Output Impedance: 4/8 Ohm

Weight: 30lbs

while they describe it as follows:

"Integrated SET (single end triode) Amp (four 6N3 preamp/drive tubes, two 6L6G power tubes, and one EM80 "Cats eye" tube (tube metering), 6 watts per channel): $990.00"

see

http://home.sharednet.com/1stlook/pages/standard.cfm?url=zestek&a=0&other=9382

for more information

6L6 is not a triode...they must strap it into triode operation...for about a grand it may not be too bad but if you are looking for a true triode amplifier keep looking...and try to stick directly heated triodes (300B, 2A3, 45, 845, etc.)

regards, tony

Tony, thanks for clearing up the confusion for me. But according to Dared, the MP-7 can be used with 350B tubes because it is auto-biased; since the 350B is a sibbling of the 300B, doesn't that make the amp a true triode? Can you explain to me what does it mean by "strap it into triode operation" when used with the 6L6 tubes. I do want a true triode amp. Thanks.

----------------

On 11/3/2003 6:01:36 PM neo33 wrote:

Tony, thanks for clearing up the confusion for me. But according to Dared, the MP-7 can be used with 350B tubes because it is auto-biased; since the 350B is a sibbling of the 300B, doesn't that make the amp a true triode? Can you explain to me what does it mean by "strap it into triode operation" when used with the 6L6 tubes. I do want a true triode amp. Thanks.

----------------

The 350B is a beam tetrode tube. It's usually given a a 6L6 equivalent. So no it ain't a true DHT amp.

glad we could help (even if only a little) dared has a few offerings using a true triode tube, the 300B, that would be better choices, I saw one on the web site for about $1,700...since I am not familiar with the dared amps I think you could possibly do better for $1,700 with a wright, a sun, a welborne, etc. regards, tony