which woofer? (DPL12, Shiva, Tempest, AV12, AV15)

tpg

Hey all-

A while back I threw together a small sealed sonosub for something to do in a day. I also have a much larger, ported version awaiting finishing (a tad more enclosure work and a driver). The small sub got my DPL12 and at this enclosure volume has an F3 around 29Hz. Sounds good, has a huge slam.

Well... I have been hit by the bug.... I must finish my other sonosub. It is 5.35cu.ft. and is made to be ported via a 4" port. So, which driver would be best? The DPL12 models best- flat to 20Hz and F3 at 16... but, then, in an encoslure this size, it would not be able to take all the power I could throw at it. The Strykes didn't model up as nicely as the Adires, but I have never had another speaker model as nicely as the DPL12. It is always perfect... What are some opinions on which to use? Thanks all

Well with only a 4" port... by the way is it flared? Anyway, just delete the Tempest woofer of your list now as it needs more ports area to perform at its best (at least two 3" flared ports). Now you have the Stryke AV-12, for the second most powerfull solution. But I would like it better with two 3" flared vents again but it depends with what kind of power you wish to feed it and what tuning point you choose for it. In a vented box, I would prefer the Shiva over the DPL12 because it will be a bit more powerfull above 20 Hz (up to 3 more dB with the proper amount of power for both subwoofers). Personally, I would prefer having more bass above 20 Hz, in the audible part than below 20 Hz, when you dont really hear it. The Shiva would be still good below 20 Hz compared to the DPL12, almost as good as it. The DPL12 is really meant to be in a closed enclosure with its low Fs.

By the way, if you model your DPL12 flat to 20 Hz, this is anechoicaly. In room, expect to have a bump around 20 to 35-40 Hz depending of your room so be carefull if one of your goal is flat ROOM response. Of course, with a parametric EQ you can cure some valley or peaks in your room frequency response.

My 200L Tempest is not EQed and is flat in room until 20 Hz (± 2dB) !!!!! My F3 in room is around 16 Hz. THANX GOD for my room! 9.gif The response curve really didnt look like the same on WinISD Pro: flat until 40 Hz and F3 at 25,5 Hz 1.gif So you see...

*Updated*

I have the DPL12 in an enclosure already... and now I need another. 3.gif I have the elcosure mostly built but need another driver. So... I guess its going to be Shiva. I might rework my porting for Tempest if I feel that I need it...

Ah...I thought you were deciding whether or not to get a new driver or pull the DPL12 out of what you had.

I still wouldn't go with the Tempest, the enclosure is too small for it IMO and if you add another port it's going to eat up more int volume. Something like the Shiva sounds just right for your application. There's also the Dayton Titanic MkII which is $150 shipped it has a slightly higher one way Xmax(~19mm one way), but it also depends on if you have enough power to use that extra excursion. What are you going to use for power?

Great! And this would be a very good idea to rework your porting for a Tempest but also your enclosure size. 5.35cu.ft. is quite a small volume for the Tempest woofer, it prefers to be in a bigger one. If size isnt a concern, for a bit more money (25$USD more for the Tempest), you would get about 70% more air displacement of the Tempest woofer compared of the Shiva woofer. Haha 9.gif I guess that you will think more about it 2.gif

Oh damn Frankie!!! We were writing at the same time our posts! lol! 9.gif

Well... I suppose I could use the remaining 12ft. or so of my sonotube and make one huge freakin sub for a Tempest. lol

I don't think that would look balanced in my home theatre, though... the one I currently have in the works dwarfs my current sub and my KSW-12.

I am not really a fan of the Dayton drivers.... Adires seem to always outperform them (and cost less for the most part).

For power, I have a Nady Audio pro amp... puts out 475 watts per channel into 4-ohms, 1100W bridged into 4-ohms. I will probably run one sub per channel (my current DPL12 and the new one). I don't think power will be an issue...

So... I guess it will have to be Shiva for this enclosure... unless I can redo something else... 14.gif

Allright... but Frankie had a good idea for the Dayton Titanic MKII. I see there that you have powerfull amps 3.gif If you dont want to touch the enclosure, the Datyon Titanic MKII would be very good too albeit that port noise can begin to be a problem with only a 4" port. I know that it is similary priced to the Tempest and that it performs a bit less, but if size is a concern, that Titanic woofer is better than the Shiva and can be real good for you. 2.gif

Why not sell the sub you built with the dpl12, and build a tempest then? Also the tempest is only a few bucks more each than the shiva, and can put out more spl if needed. You could also build a dual tempest tube, like mlstrass or dual tubes, with a single tempest each. What size is the sonotube you have right now? If you have 12 feet of 18", than you have enough to build dual tempest subs.

Hmm... the Titanic modeled up pretty nicely... should hit the 120dB mark at 25Hz and possibly even at 20Hz or below. I might end up getting one of those... It is definitely more efficient than the Shiva (far mroe eff. than DPL12). This may just be the one...

Has anyone had experience with it? Is it good quality?

"should hit the 120dB mark at 25Hz and possibly even at 20Hz or below."

Wow! You are very optimistic there! 6.gif Just imagine that I cant even touch that mythical 120 dB mark with my Tempest for the moment at the listening position and when the sub is on a piece of furniture7.gif. I think that I can hit or to get really really close of 120 dB at 20 Hz if I want. But I would have to place my listening position in the right corner of my room and to place the sub on the floor AND I CANT RIGHT NOW 7.gif. I get 115 dB at 20 Hz, 116 dB at 25 Hz at the listening position, +1-2 dB I would get for the sub on the ground, +2-3dB in the room corner. You perhaps have a smaller room than me also.

Now, with a Titanic MKII. You might get close to 120 dB, but Im really sure that you wont be able to have a CLEAN 120dB at 20-25Hz unless your room is really small, under 1500 cubic ft.

I was being optimistic... all three of my subs together might hit 120...

My room is fairly large, but my listening area is very close. I am about a meter from my mains and subs and less than a foot from my surrounds. So... at listening position, it is fairly loud.