PM 5.1's for HT?

Rattler

Welcome to the forum!

To answer your question (slightly): I think it would largely depend on your room setup for the home theater room. If it is a tiny room, the 5.1's would probably work wonders. However, before suggesting other possibilities we need to at least know the size of the room and your budget for new speakers.

You probably could use them for HT, but I don't know if I would...

Like you, however, I too picked up a set of PM (4.1s for my old PIII machine), and it completely blew my "home stereo system" (can't even really call it an HT system) away in sound quality. I couldn't believe a set of computer speakers actually sounder better than my main system!

That, along with various other reasons, sparked my decision to revamp my HT system, so I sold everything I had, and have started fresh.

I am on a tight budget, and because of room layout, floor standers weren't an option, so it was going to have to be a bookshelf/satellite/sub speaker combination. Since the Pro-Medias impressed me so much, I decided to get the Quintets. Although on the outside, they look almost identical, they are not on the inside. The Quintets seem to weigh almost double the PMs. And of course the impedance specs are 8 ohms, as opposed to the 4 ohm PMs. Couple that with the fact that you have to keep the PM speakers hooked up to the sub, otherwise you can damage its amplifier, I don't see how you could effectively use the PMs for HT, although it could work, using the pre-outs of you A/V receiver...

Anyway, I only mention the Quintets because, like you, this was my introduction to Klipsh. From what I gather, they Quints are a good speaker, but not regarded very highly around here (most people on this forum seem to have a lot more $$$ tied up in their systems than I was willing to spend).

But a good HT setup is like any other hobby-you can spend as little, or as much as you can imagine on it.

Its all about what you want to accomplish, what your needs are, and what your budget will allow.

-Alan

Actually, I think the Ultra 5.1s are a good place to start. Normally I would advise starting out by acquiring more speaker than you can afford because everything else in the system will be limited by the quality of the speakers. But that advice isn't quite so good when a) you already have acceptable speakers, B) there's so dang many channels it may be tough to afford better all at once, c) there is the rest of the system capability to acquire.

With stereo the system capability was relatively inexpensive. Receiver and an alternate source (probably phono). With that small investment and a good set of speakers you have a listenable system. With HT you have put a LOT more into the system just to make it listenable (and viewable).

IMO, you'd do well to acquire a decent AV receiver next, use the pre-outs to drive the Ultras, then acquire some decent sources and video. Later plan on an upgrade first replacing the entire Ultra system (by that time you'll know a lot more about speaker options) and plug the new system into the receiver's amps (that you hadn't been using). By then it might be time to start upgrading electronics, but you're well on your way.

Ciao!

12.gif

Thanks folks.

The size of the room is about 15x15 or so and I really have to stick with the Ultra's for now as far as $$$ goes.

So it would be better to pick up a recever of some sort and not use the DD.5.1 box? or will I need both (sorry a little lost now) Please feel free to email me if you wish

Thanks again for your help!

I had the DD5.1 earlier and wasn't really satisfied(it looks like designed for xbox but i didn't have it). They have 3types of input: RCA(stereo only), coaxial and digital. It forces you go up to digital signal or stereo. There's no analog 5.1/6.1/7.1 input. Not really a good choice for my need(might be great for others that has digital signals component).

If you use dvd player etc that has digital signal all the time that'd be fine (you are gonna have AC3 or DTS all the time at that moment) or stick with reciever(however the dolby prologic II was really great, I put it on my TV and it rocked 9.gif ).

Hope it helps :)