Chice of Sub for $400

swissy

After many hours of research, I think I have narrowed it down to the RW-10. However, I am still open to suggestions for subs. Unfortunately, my proximity to a LR is limited. Therefore, many of my choices are faith based. I am into Klipsch and have been for a while. My setup currently is:

RC-25

Frazier Fronts Model #? (These are hand me downs. Changing to RB-35. Also a $400 limit on fronts)

Junky Sony Rear (RS-25 coming in this month)

Junky Sony 50W sub

Yamaha V2300 (Formally Sony STR-DE475)

As you can see, this is a large upgrade from my initial system. While it might not be Home Theater Extreme, it does have the WAF. She may not understand, but the budget has been set.

I wanted an SVS 20-39 PCi, however, this price was shot down and there is no compromise on the fronts to make up the difference. I can't imagine going to RB-15 in order to get the SVS.

This is for 80% HT, but treat it as 100%.

Please do not say Well, for $500 you could get the XXXXXX. The budget is set and can only move for shipping. There is a sketch of the room attached. As you can see, it is a little challenging. Any suggestions are welcome, even on the fronts.

Sorry about the misspelled topic header.

post-13603-1381924996396_thumb.jpg

Hey Peter,

I'd buy the Adire Rava. If you take a look at the recent post by Music Lover, he said he called Adire since they were out of Shiva's(the 12" driver in the Rava) and they were substituting the DPL-12 12" driver instead. This driver is much better suited for use in a sealed enclosure and in most room should have very good output from ~25hz and up. The RW10 is really no competition for a Rava with the DPL12 and it comes in at $399. Just call to verify this and do it quick before the Shiva gets back in stock1.gif .

Thanks for the reply Frankie.

That post is what got me on this alternate sub kick. I looked up the Rava earlier and it was listed at $399 or $424 w/ DPL12. This was an attractive offer and people here and on other forums seem to like it. The only problem is not being able to test drive it. I have a Klipsch dealer within an hour and can test the RW-10, but going back to my first post, this may be a faith-based purchase.

Thank you again and the Rava w/ the DPL12 is starting to take the lead.

The Klipsch RW-12 too??? I think Ive read a post on this forum of a guy who is able to purchase one for around $400. But I didnt heard yet the Klipsch RW series of sub so I dont know too much if it would be better for HT than the Rava in that case. I think, just think that yes because the RW-12 is ported and even with a woofer which has less excursion or a bit less, it could have an advantage for the punch factor in HT. But I will let others to tell you if the RW-12 can be a good choice. Frankie can certainly tell you 1.gif

The least expensive I could find the RW-12 was $430, but the shipping was an additional $55. Not a real deal when they make it back on shipping. Besides that, it is an Unauthorized dealer. Not that I mind that, but there are only a few UD's that I trust. At any rate, the Rava seems like a good choice. I imagine anything is better than my current sub.

How about it matching the RB-35? Is the RF-15 better?