Which SVS sub(s) to get?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well i finally decided what brand to get, now which should I get?

1) SVS pb2-plus x 2

2) SVS B-4 Plus x 1

3) SVS CS-Ultra x 2

4) SVS SS sub X 1

Also what extra equipment would I need, the Rane PE17 parametric Equalizer, Marchand black box,

baseplate? I'm confused and would please appreciate some help.

thanks

i'M REALLY THINKING THE b-4, has anybody heard any of the newest SVS products?

Smilin11.gif10.gif

ps I am tlking to mike from the forum and am probably going to buy his 5 new La Sacla speaks, so which would compliment best?9.gif

Over at Home Theater Spot they recently put up a review of the PB2+ by Kris Deering. And Nov. issue of Widescreen Review also reviews the PB2+. The Home Theater Spot article is excellent. I just got Widescreen Review today so I've not had a chance to read it yet. Having owned a PB2+ for about four months now I know nothing but good can be said about it. But it's still nice to hear it from other people.

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback Rick,

I have been on the internet all day serching reviews, and subwoofers, it appears to me that SVS has the most bang for the buck...at least as far as the reviews go. But i have never heard them before, and they are only sold thru the factory. Combine that with the probability of me changing my entire speaker system around within the week, i would love to get feedback from other people who have heard any or all the subs i am considering to buy, hopfully before I pull the trigger with my amex. I'm really trying to figur out if getting 1 of the top of the line or 2 of yours or the cylyndricle subs...

smilin11.gif

I am sure i will like whichever I get, and I'm sure it will be better than my 6 year old velodyne 1200.

----------------

On 11/6/2003 7:12:48 PM smilin wrote:

Well i finally decided what brand to get, now which should I get?

1) SVS pb2-plus x 2

2) SVS B-4 Plus x 1

3) SVS CS-Ultra x 2

4) SVS SS sub X 1

Also what extra equipment would I need, the Rane PE17 parametric Equalizer, Marchand black box,

baseplate? I'm confused and would please appreciate some help.

thanks

i'M REALLY THINKING THE b-4, has anybody heard any of the newest SVS products?

Smilin
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/11.gif">
"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/images/smilies/10.gif">

ps I am tlking to mike from the forum and am probably going to buy his 5 new La Sacla speaks, so which would compliment best?
9.gif

----------------

I would consider only the top two choices for your proposed 5 LaScala6.gif system. If you go with dual PB2-Plus' you'll have more internal volume and port area than a single B4-Plus, but with out the custom finish and push-pull alignment to cancel even order harmonics. Whether there is a measureable difference(or at what level there is a measureable) difference would probably be best left up to Tom Vodhanel.

With the dual PB2-Plus' you have ~1.8kw of internal power and all the flexibility of the SVS/Marchand box built in, the only thing I would recommend is an eq. The Rane SVS has is great, I use a Behringer Feedback Destroyer(BFD) and I think it works wonderfully and is about 1/3rd the cost of the Rane.

I'm not really sure what you mean about baseplates.

With the B4-Plus you'll need to get some form of external amplification. The Crown SVS sells would work well but there are cheaper alternatives from companies from QSC. Keep in mind the Samson's are not a good choice for the B4 Plus because they can't be run 4 ohm bridged. If you power the B4 Plus with a pro amp, you might run into an impedance mismatch between the amp and your receiver's LFE output. I did with my two Samson amps and Yamaha receiver(works fine with the HK I have now). If you do run into this this is one reason to get the SVS/Marchand black box, it gives an 18dB boost. The other two reasons to get it is because of the continously variable phase(to eek the last dB out of your system) and the other is because of the variable subsonic filter to protect the driver's from bottoming below the subwoofers tuning frequency.

Hope this clears up a few of your questions.

i feel like a broken record on this but....

the absolute best thing you can do is email svs customer support (tom is who you get) tell him what you want the subs for (music, ht, etc) and give him a description of your room.

he will give you his recommendation on what will be best for your room and your wallet. i wrote him fully wanting to get a more expensive sub, and he wrote back suggesting a cheaper sub...it all had to do with my room size. i now see what he did, the more expesive sub would have fit the bill, but it would have been overkill (i wouldn't have used it's full power)

so drop a line to him and get his take on it too - besides they are the ones who design and test 'em. for being an online guy, i trust tom more than i trust my own brother 9.gif

Guest Anonymous

Frankie,

Thanks for the input on the subs, all fargin day i have been argueing with my wife trying to get her to let me put the la Scalas in our lower level, ***** ***** ***** , I now have an excedrine headache of the nth degree. So i now have to compromise, I really Really Really want the B4 cause when I took measurement if my space today(another argument w/other half) I realized I do not really have enough room for 2 big subs..at least she agreed I can do whatever I want on the sub2.gif. By the way what type of equalizer do you have(or is it like the unit svs sell?), also what amplifier would you reccoment if I do in fact order the B4...

Thanks for your advice

this forum rocks

Smilin9.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 11/7/2003 9:00:00 AM tankhokie wrote:

i feel like a broken record on this but....

the absolute best thing you can do is email svs customer support (tom is who you get) tell him what you want the subs for (music, ht, etc) and give him a description of your room.

he will give you his recommendation on what will be best for your room and your wallet. i wrote him fully wanting to get a more expensive sub, and he wrote back suggesting a cheaper sub...it all had to do with my room size. i now see what he did, the more expesive sub would have fit the bill, but it would have been overkill (i wouldn't have used it's full power)

so drop a line to him and get his take on it too - besides they are the ones who design and test 'em. for being an online guy, i trust tom more than i trust my own brother
9.gif
----------------

Tank, thanks for the advise, I emailed tom, just waiting on replay, but i really want the B4.

Smilin10.gif

smilin,

9.gif

woo-hoo i saw on your other thread that you just placed an order for the B4-Plus. man, i am excited about your buy. i have yet to hear from someone who has gotten one and hear/feel how it sounds. i know how excited i was when i bought my cylinder from svs...i can't even imagine how i would have been if i ordered that beast (B4).

keep us updated when you get this monster...i wish i could hear it but the next best thing for me is to hear your experience. until then, i will live vicariously through you...

i think i am going to go sob softly for a while15.gif ...oh, what kind of amp are you going to drive it with? 9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

smilin,

You better smile 9.gif The B4-Plus cabinet is very solid,drivers used of A1 quality and design plus its the SVS flagship.

No doubt you are buying a real SUPERSUB,not just a great sub.

Congratulations one more time 1.gif

Get the Crown K2 amp to get the most of the B4-Plus.And the Rane EQ

SHould fit the bill and provide you with out of this world performance.