New plate amps for DIY'ers

fabulousfrankie

Was looking at plate amps for a sub I plan to build and found some new products from Parts Express. The one's I wanted to bring to peoples attentions are some affordable high powered models with a single band parametric eq built in that feature Bob Carver's tracking downcoverter power supply.

Here they are:

500 watt amp for $299

1000 watt amp for $399

Other new lower power and price amps that have no boost:

100 watt amp for $90

200 watt amp for $120

I might pick up the new 100 watt amp and build a small computer sub to compliment the RSX-5's I just purchased for my computer.

Just wanted to bring another deal that I found to people's attention. MCM currently has their 250W plate amp for $99.95, I don't know whether it's on sale or if it's a new amp but I know last time I checked out their amps this wasn't their. I called and verified there is no boost in the amp and it has a 1 yr warranty. They are also offering free shipping if your order is at least $100 so I added a $.09 resistor so the amp is actually $100.04 shiped. I ordered one last night for a sub I'm building for my parents.

250W Plate amp

Would any of these amps be good for a replacement on my SW15, i.e. a direct fit?

Klipsch La Scala fronts

Klipsch Academy center

Klipsch KG 1.2 rears

Klipsch SW15 sub

Denon POA2200 amp

Denon PRA1100 preamp

Adcom GSP-560 dolby surrond amp

Denon tuner

Nakamichi BX-100 tape deck

Sony DVD player (also use xbox for dvd)

The biggest problem with replacing commercial subs with aftermarket amps is you don't know whether the amp has any sort of boost built in. If it does, it's tailored to the specific driver/enclosure/tuning configuration and if you replace it with an aftermarket amp you response will be unpredictable. Most likely you'll end up losing low bass because there is no longer any boost. If there is no boost to begin with then I don't see why it wouldn't work.

----------------

On 11/21/2003 3:00:12 PM formica wrote:

0.09 Shipping... not bad...
9.gif

Did you choose / buy a driver for them yet? Find anything used? or A Tempest would seem to be a good match for this amp and your budget... ----------------

I had a lead on a used PE 250W plate amp and Tempest for $220 shipped but the guy only wanted non CC payment through Paypal and my parents only wanted to put it on their CC so that didn't work out. Then I found a deal on a used Dayton Titanic MkII for $90 shipped and I the guy said he would hold it for me until this last Thursday night because I was still trying work out the first Tempest deal. It didn't really bother me that the Tempest deal didn't work out because I knew I could get the Titanic MkII and that has 80% of the output capabilities of a Tempest and it was cheap. Even though the guy said he would hold it until Thursday night I got an email Thursday morning saying that already sold and shipped the Titanic MkII so now I'm back to square one on drivers. I have a spare Dayton DVC12 and a couple original SVS CS drivers. Two of the SVS CS would do a good job but that means I need two amps and my parents don't want to do that. I looked into the possiblity of cheap pro amps but I don't want to take a chance with an impedance mismatch since their using a Yamaha receiver. I had the problem with my Samson amps and two different Yamaha receivers so I figure the chances of the problem arising is likely and that's going to cost more money to fix. I'm also trying to see if I can work in the 3" flared ports(11.5" long) that PE is closing out at for less than $4/ea. I think I'm probably just going to end up using a single DVC12 or SVS CS, even though more subwoofer would be good for their large room the sub will be better than anything they could buy commercially.