Klipsch THX system

Robert Gervais

I just bought a Klipsch THX system KT LCR (3), KT DS (2) and KT SW for $635. Was that a good buy? I was thinking of down sizing as now I have Chorus II's for the mains, Quartets for the centers (front & rear), KSP-C6 in storgage and KSP-S6's for surrounds. I also have a pair of Fortes as well. If this works out I am going to sell my Chorus II's for $1000, they are mint and my Quartet's for $500. I am going to sell the KSP C6 as well. If interested, please contact me!11.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Congrats on your purchase...

I think you will really enjoy the THX setup, and yep, you got a great deal... I'm pretty sure the MSRP for that set was over $2500.00 when new.

I picked up my set in 1999, for about $1400.00 new from a dealer.

Just a couple of random thoughts...

1. Placement... Unlike most current center Channels the KT-LCR was designed to be positioned vertically, not horizontally.

I've got mine normally laying down sideways on the RPTV, but will stand it up when listening to a concert on dvd. It does make a difference.

To get the best sound stage I try to minimize the vertical difference between the left, center and right channels.

So you can either start with the left and right on stands at with tweeters at ear level, and then put the center on a low stand pointing slightly upwards to you, or else if you have the Center on top of an RPTV, you may want to try slightly taller stands and tilt the left and right speakers forward a bit to point to your ear level.

Given their design, you want to run all the speakers as small, on the processor and crossover at 80 hz to the subwoofer.

The subwoofer has an amazing amount of bass slam * I've measured mine at over 100 DB output) down to about 30 hz, but rolls off pretty steeply below that.

The rear surrounds are designed to be placed at either side of the listening position facing forward and back along the side wall. I also had some success in one of my rooms with hanging them from the ceiling on some pole mounts, and actually pointing them forward toward the seating area, and positioning them so that the rear sound bounced off a wall about 3 ft behind the speakers.

Final Thoughts... careful level setting of mains vs subwoofer will provide for some amazing movie sound, and surprisingly neutral music listening enjoyment. The KT-LCR seem to work best in my room on stands about 2 ft away from rear and side walls.

Hope you enjoy your set... They seem to be one of the more Rare Klipsch setups on this board.

Lyle.