RF-5 Tweeter

MasterT

I have RF-5 fronts driven by a Denon 4802R receiver. On one speaker the tweeter cuts in and out and

crackles at times. The tweeter won't even work sometimes until the volume is turned up then it starts

cutting in and out. I've switched the left and right speaker cables around just to make sure it wasn't

one of the receiver channels causing the problem. My question is, does this sound like a tweeter

problem or a crossover problem? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

That certainly sounds like a voice coil becoming intermittent.

I haven't worked on an RF. However, in many of the newer Klipsch speakers the diaphragm can be replaced using just a screwdriver and a small wrench or channel lock, or pliers. Probably you can get a diaphragm from Klipsch for $30 or so.

Gil

Hi,

you should check the connectors on your tweeter. That are snap-on connectors, it is posssible that they make a bad contact. Possibly the cutting in and out is caused by the vibrations of the woofers on that connection.

It is an easy check, you will have to unscrew the 8 screws that hold the tweeter.

You can also check the crosover for bad contact by carefuly examining the solder points.

If these steps don't help then see the reply before me.

Best regards ... Jef

• Like 1