I'm baaaaack....., first impressions of new/old Khorns

Tom Mobley

Wow, whatta grind. 1700 miles in two days is enough for me, I'm too old for this. just rolled in about an hour ago. Midnight MST.

First look reveals the guys' ebay pics were good. These things are original as could be. All the drivers are right, the crossovers K-500-5000, still have all the paper labels glued to them. One of the wooden horns is dated Dec 7 1959. I was 5 & 1/2 years old. Get this, the warranty cards were still stapled to the bass cabinets, both of them. serial numbers wriitten on the cards. they never sent them in, wonder what would happen if I sent them in now..... Come to think of it, I think I still have the ones that came with my 77 Heresy's.

Haven't listened yet, still in the garage. Intial take: good wood, bad lacquer. these are lacquered Mahogany and the finish is just shot. Grills are nice except where the side grills were notched to clear somebody's woodwork, very professional job there. I think these grills are referred to as chocolate? Dark Brown.

the top grilles are perfect. these were made when they were still doing them one at a time, I guess. The upper grill frames are serialized to the speakers, which have the same serial # top and bottom. 1505 and 1517.

I'll see if I can get some pics tomorrow, I'm going to bed.

Tom