squeaking in my tweeter

loveofmusic

Hi,

I am new to this site and I am happy that I found this site! I have had my Cromwalls for a year now and just recently I heard a squeaking noise from one of my tweeters. The sound resembles what you would hear when your tape heads are dirty,but not as profound. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The serial number on my sweetheart is 8P170 and they are CO-BR. My system is 2 channels, consisting of the following:

Rogue Audio 99's tube preamp

B&K 4420 ss amplifier.

Pioneer tx-7500 tuner

Phllips cd/dvd 724

Kenwood kx-w8030 cassette deck

Pioneer turntable (in mothball for now, no room in the system)

I would appreciate your help and response on the following questions.

1. When was my system built?

2. what "eventual" upgrades could I make to my speakers? crossovers? external speaker connector?

3. what amplifier, speaker wire, interconnect would mate nicely with the speakers?

(I was thinking of buying the 88's tube amp from Rogue audio)

4 For tube fans out there, could you suggest what type of 6sn7 would compliment my speakers?

(I am presently using the OEM tubes, but I am thinking of replacing them with Sylvania Green label, chrome domes(GTA) and RCA(GTA) white lettering with side or bottom getters for the outputs.

oh I forgot to mention that the person who previously owned the speakers but an enclouser on each speaker and built risers on the bottom. Did an outstanding job.

thank you again for your help

Warren

Warren,

Welcome! Your Cornwalls were built in 1976. Here's a chart one of our members (mobile homeless) put together, to explain Klipsch's mysterious numbering system: http://home.earthlink.net/~ivol/klipsch_cornwall/klipsch_date_codes.htm

The squeaking could be a diaphragm issue (especially since it is only occurring with one tweeter), requiring replacement. Many here have successfully performed this operation on their tweeters. You can get the diaphragms from Klipsch, or on eBay, or you can have a speaker repair shop do it, for probably around $40-50.

For equipment recommendations (esp. tube stuff), ask in the 2 Channel forum.

fini

The squeeking issue doesn't sound like a tweeter issue to me.

Usually they just become intermittent and then burn out. Further the tweeter is so high in its reponse range any noise would be more of a chirp.

I'd suggest you switch the location off the boxes and see if the squeek follows the suspect driver.

Another question is whether this noise is present from all sources and with all amps? You could reverse the left and right feeds from the amp to the speakers to see if it caused by the electronics in one channel.

Best,

Gil