Another Newbie sub hookup question

SteveSummers

I just got a RW-12 and need to run the proper cables under the house. For 5.1 movies I assume hooking up the LFE to my sony receiver (STR-DE975) would sound the best, but what about for non 5.1 shows? Can I also run speaker wire from the L/R of the receiver to the sub? It would be parallel runs as the Fronts would be connected to the same terminals (L/R) on the receiver. Or would it be better to use the RCA Line inputs of the SUB and do something plug into the "2nd room" output of the receiver?

Confused.

This excerpt is straight off the Klipsch FAQ page, http://www.klipsch.com/product/homeaudiofaq.aspx

I'm sure it will help, but now I am questioning the FAQ, with the sub connected to the LFE will my sub truely not recieve any bass from cd's or radio play? I thought the reciever's bass management, if set to small and crossover at 80hz would send all signals south of 80hz to the sub regardless of their source. Is that not true?

What are the different ways of hooking up a subwoofer?

The first method works with all amplifiers and receivers whether they are set up for home theater reproduction or not. Connect the positive speaker terminal of the receiver/amp to the corresponding (right channel, left channel, etc.) positive speaker input terminal on the subwoofer. Then connect the negative speaker lead from the amp/receiver in the same manner. Repeat for the next speaker. Connect the speaker leads from the receiver (main L&R) to the subwoofer speaker level inputs. Then run wire from the sub speaker level outputs to your main L&R speakers. This method allows the subwoofer to produce the low frequencies, sending the upper bass, midrange and high frequencies to each connected speaker. Most subwoofers have controls so that the user can determine the range of low frequencies they want the sub to produce.

The second method applies to amps/receivers that have a separate "subwoofer out" jack or a separate LFE (Low Frequency Effects) jack. The LFE output is the .1 in the Dolby Digital 5.1 designation and applies to those amps/receivers that have that feature. Remember that 2 channel recordings never have any LFE signal. These connections use an RCA jack, so a cable with those jacks is necessary (special "subwoofer cables" use these jacks and may be purchased separately). Connect the "line out" jack of the amp/receiver to the "line in" jack of the subwoofer (or the "LFE" out to the "LFE" in) describe here the difference between normal'sub out and LFE signal. That is, two-channel signals will have sub out but NEVER LFE out. This connection allows the amp/receiver to control the low frequencies going to the subwoofer. These frequencies are directed by the "bass management function" in the amp/receiver. Examples of "bass management" include, but are not limited to, speaker size settings (i.e. Large or Small) or subwoofer output controls located in the amp/receiver.

The third method of hookup involves some combination of all of the hookups listed above (see next question).

What is the best way for me to hook up my subwoofer?

Unfortunately, there is no one "best" way to connect a subwoofer. Every receiver or amplifier is different, every brand of subwoofer is different, every room is different in the way it supports or cancels low frequency information, and the quantity of bass desired may differ for each listener. Additionally, the same hookups to the same amps/receivers and the same subwoofers can produce different results if "bass management" settings (speaker size selectors, etc.) or subwoofer settings are different. The best thing to do is to experiment. Depending on the amp/receiver you have, hooking just the "LFE" jacks up usually only sends bass special effects of a 5.1 encoded movie to the subwoofer. In that case, when music is played on a two-channel source (CD or such) for example, the subwoofer would not receive any signal at all. That situation would call for a hookup of both the "LFE" jacks and the speaker terminal jacks to a subwoofer in order for the subwoofer to produce bass with all sources. The best way to hook up a subwoofer is what sounds best to you, with your equipment and your individual tastes! It does take some time and experimentation, but when you have listened to all your options, you know which one is best for you.

Just because you have your sub hooked up to your LFE output DOES NOT NECESSARILY mean you will get no output to your subwoofer with two channel sources. It depends on how you set your receiver to do its bass management. My Yamaha DSP-A1 has SW, MAIN, and BOTH settings in it's "bass management" menu. This was very confusing to me as to what this meant, because I found I could interpret it two ways. The correct way is: if you set it to "MAIN" then you get 2-channel bass going to your SW. If you say "SW" with 2-channel info THEN you get squat from your sub. If you say "BOTH" then you get both of those inputs going to your sub, both the MAIN'S bass and the SW bass (the .1 of 5.1).

I would think most receivers should have a comparable sort of set-up for their bass management. There should be a setting on yours to send the main's bass to your SW.1.gif