General SACD questions...having probs

space_cowboy

Just some questions while troubling shooting a new install problem:

Should all SACD's play in 5.1?

From the player to the AVR, is the connection through the 5.1 out's to the 5.1 in's? It's my understanding this is not a digital conection.

OK, this would help narrow it down, thanks for any replies.

Not all SACD are in 5.1. Check the case to make sure it is. Most 5.1's will play in 2 channel, but not visa-versa. On the back of your receiver, you should have 6 connections clearly marked mains, L.surround, R.surround, center, sub. And yes, you go from the out of the dvd to the in on the receiver.

Space:

Nope. Not all SACD's are 5.1. In fact, I own a 'Journey' SACD that is totally Stereo. However, it is some of the best 'Journey' my wife and I have ever heard for stereo and we have heard them live. That's her favorite group. Be sure to read the label before buying. I was fooled too, and wound up enjoying the improved sound anyway.

-Picky 2.gif

Thanks guys, I guess the word *Stereo* on the back of the case was the giveaway! DOH!!!6.gif Oh well, I'll know next time. BTW, the disc was Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood, which I already owned on regular CD, and the new one sounds fantastic, a noticeable difference! Will have to buy something in 5.1 for the weekend.

Might as well ask this one now, what about DVD-Audio? Can they vary from 2 channel to 5.1 also?

Thanks

p.s. Picky, is your avatar a stamp? The pic looks like the LAW motif.

----------------

On 11/19/2003 7:59:17 PM space_cowboy wrote:

Might as well ask this one now, what about DVD-Audio? Can they vary from 2 channel to 5.1 also?

----------------

Yes. Like the SACD, you will need to read the label on the case to see what kind of format it has (5.1, 2-channel, etc).