Cainet paint experience?

Rudy81

I am in the process of refinishing one of my black La Scalas. I purchased the Klipsch recommended laquer, but since I don't have a professional paint sprayer, that became more of a nightmare than I would have liked.

I would appreciate any tips from those of you who have refinished your black cabinets.

Has anyone used a brush?

Rick:

That was attempt number two. Those sprayers work ok, but the nozzle, which is not adjustable, puts out a very small, round footprint. It left some very "nice" lines all across the cabinet surface. Several coats later, you could still see those lines.

Ideally, I would send it to a cabinet shop to be professionally painted, but I have spent enough on them already. I will try a few more options before resorting to the most expensive one.

Thanks anyway

Preval sprayers that use compressed can of propellant to atomize and spray the paint work okay for some uses, but not for a quality finish. They also get very expensive buying the cylinders. Do you have any buddies that own a spray gun? Or better yet, someone that works in a refinishing shop that could maybe do it in your garage?

Hmm... didn't even see that. Btw, if you ask around, I'm sure that you can find someone to do it for a reasonable price. Lacquers, being a very thin product, can often require many coats to build up decent coverage. Laquers dry by solvent evaporation only, so each coat remelts the coat underneath. This makes it easy with a good quality spray gun to achieve a very high quality finish. The spray gun fluid tip, and application pressure must be matched to the product being sprayed for best results. A cabinetmaker may be your best bet, but don't count out a local bodyshop either. As a sidenote, they may even do something like that at home, after hours.

Can we say block sand!

Just keep spraying the Lacure any way you can, the better patern the better. dont worry to much about dry spray or uneven fish just spray a few coats then block sand wet with 3m wet dry paper. Get a rubber sanding block (there cheap) at your local harware or paint store. I would block sand the first few coats with 220 until smooth then spary a few more coats then block with 320 or 400. keep spraying then blocking .

after the finsh looks like it is real level and there are plenty of coats you can wet sand it with 600 then hand buff with rubbing compond untill it looks like glass.

Hey rudy81 -

Not sure what your budget will allow, but this might be a good solution:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=44677

It may not be suited for spraying that flip-flop pearl candy red you want to put on your restored '34 Ford 3 window coupe, but for a hundred bucks?? C'mon.. 1.gif

Seriously though, I'm sure it would be an investment you'd find other uses for.

Tom