New toys

Bruinsrme

Finally after 19 days of my plasma sitting in a box in the cellar I had the change to connect it. Actually I had to figure out how to hang the center channel.

No with that little issue solved the Sony XBR 32" could finally be relocated and the plasma moved in.

Here is a quick picture of the new layout including the new parasound halos and plasma.

Next up is

panels to block off the computer area behind the display

fireplace doors

and a dvd rack

thining about painting the ceiling black

Sorry the pict sux but its been a very long day

The funniest thing is the fiance doesn't even know about the display yet.

quickpict2.jpg

With the lights off behind the display it is relatively hard to discern whether it is a wall or somthing behind it.

Getting a plasma and moving out the gigantic sony the panels will be easier to move in and take out as necessary.

m00n.

You have no idea how difficult it is/was to find a tv mount, for the center channel, like that on the East Coast. All of the mounts found or that could be ordered all were not a straight arm, they all had some type of bend/curve near the top.

With the computer area behind it the display and speaker I have a huge bass trap. i am hoping once the panels are built the acoustic will have a large improvement, of course relatively speaking.

The display looks great and thanks to Dell I have a plasma that came in at a mere $2319 shipped. Wide screen never looked so good.

m00n

jsut about 6 feet.

There is a post over on hometheaterspot how to buld your own

materials;

Materials required:

1/2" thick sound deafening board available in 4'x8' sheets at Home Depot for approx $7.

1" thick acoustical foam. I purchased 2'x4' panels of Alpha Wedge foam from Acoustical Solutions for $12 each.

1"x2" furring strips from Home Depot. 8' lengths are less than $1 each. Pick through the pile for perfectly straight boards. The boards have an actual dimension of 3/4" x 1.5".

1/8" thick Lauan plywood available in 3'x7' sheets from Home Depot. Inexpensive.

Acoustical fabric. I like Guilford of Maine because of their huge selection. The FR701 is very popular, but I chose the Hieroglyphics 3516 because of its texture and color.

Glue. You will need standard white wood glue and also PL polyurethane wood glue. Available at Home Depot.

Staple gun. If you are planning on building a few of these panels, invest in an electric stable gun.

Table saw. This is only used to bevel the edge on the 1"x2"'s. If you don't have a table saw you can still build the panels without the beveled edge.

Miter saw. Used to cut the frame corners to 45 degress. You can use a hand saw if you don't have a miter saw.

I found a lead on materail that is used to make the Colorado Avalanche game jerseys that will match the HT perfectly. Not sure how much they will absord or reflect the sound but at the price quoted I am not really too concerned if it doesn't work.

Scott