ACADEMY QUESTION

muleman

I recently replaced and RC3-II with an Academy (to better match my FORTE-II in front) and I have a couple of questions. First, I noticed that the RC3-II had this nifty adjustable rubber peg on the back edge that can be used tilt the speaker forward so that it can be perfectly aimed at the listening area. The Acedemy doesnt have this and I found that, when sitting atop my 57" with a zero degree elevation, I needed to bump up the center channel level when calibrating the system. Do most folks put something on the back edge to tilt the Academy forward or just compensate using the channel level? My second question has to do with the Academy weight - I think its 35 lbs and heavier than the RC3-II. I am wondering if my Hitachi 57" RPTV can handle this or if the medium density fiberboard will begin to sag.

I believe the original concept on the speaker was that it be deployed vertically. Note the long axis of the non-Tractix horn. Accordingly, when laid on it's side the vertical dispersion should be pretty wide. I tilt mine a little by sliding a strip of wood under it, but I probably don't need to.

If you have to lay it on the TV (I'd go for some other solution), get a chunk of 3/4" plywood to spread out the load. Preferably the width of the TV, to transfer the load to the outer shell.

• 2 months later...