KLIPSCH - reviews and interviews with P. Klipsch

Jef

That 1974 Rolling stone article is the reason I own Klipschorns and eleven other Klipsch speakers today. It is hard not to like and admire a kooky genius such as PWK. I even wear oversized pants so I can stuff my pockets because of him.

Two good decisions I have made in my life; marrying my wife and buying my Klipschorns.

Thanks, Jef.

Rick

Jef,

Thanks for the very appropriate reference reading considering the recent display of scope images and discussions of the inablility of low watt amps to deliver the goods with difficult source material. One article reprinted from a 1994 Sound Practices mag explores high efficiency speakers for use with low watt single ended amplifiers. The LaScala was one of the speakers reviewed. Some of the more interesting comments; the LaScala was the speaker of choice when asked "Which would you like to take home with you". Another was; "The LaScalas played with a sense of ease, composure, and grandeur that had two local TAS-subscribing audiophile club members picking their jaws up from the floor. Just put on Mercury's CD of "Also Sprach Zarathustra" on the smallest amp in the house(in this case, a two watt. type 45, a directcoupled single ended, designed and built by Gordon Rankin) and help your dearest friends through their ecstatic recovery. The LaScalas played this demanding piece with the utmost grace, control, and verve. Ever hear a two watter slam on a LaScala?." One of the last comments; "These LaScalas free you from the power monkey"...."These speakers allow you to pick an amplifiers based on it's inherent sonic beauty, without regard for power specifications."

BTW, the review made no claims of scientific accuracy. The writer of the article ventured a simple summary opinion for evaluating speakers or any other components. "Listen to it, preferrably in your system, in your listening room." I would suggest a reading of the complete article for more complete details.

I guess more recent users of low watt SET amps and Heritage horns aren't really that crazy after all is said and done. Some of us already knew that. Yet here we are in 2003, rehashing what others experienced and published in 1994.

Klipsch out.