Building a Heritage HT System-Advice needed.

mjc

I have a line on a pair of 80s vintage Cornwalls and late 70s vintage La Scalas. I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver from the mid 90s to power the speakers. Questions: which speakers would you use as fronts/rears? What about recommendations for Center and Sub speakers. Also, are there any "technical" issues I need to be aware of when wiring all these different speakers together? I used to be good at this kinda stuff, but stereo and HT technology has left me in the dust.

ALL comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks

----------------

On 11/28/2003 8:49:59 PM mjc wrote:

I have a line on a pair of 80s vintage Cornwalls and late 70s vintage La Scalas. I have a Yamaha 5.1 receiver from the mid 90s to power the speakers. Questions: which speakers would you use as fronts/rears? What about recommendations for Center and Sub speakers. Also, are there any "technical" issues I need to be aware of when wiring all these different speakers together? I used to be good at this kinda stuff, but stereo and HT technology has left me in the dust.

ALL comments are welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
----------------

I have Cornwalls front and rear (and center too as soon as UPS delivers it). My only suggestion would be to use a Heresy as a center. I think that Cornwalls are a better match to a Heresy then the LaScala's so in this configuration I would suggest using the Cornwalls as the front mains.

I use SVS woofers for bass. Check out my web page for photos.

I hope that this helps.

Laters,

since you did not mention heresies i wont either, but i do have all three in my ht rig, the cornwalls make an outstanding front channel, the bass is just amayzing the way it strikes your chest, and i also run the lascalla as center channel, i think this is a perfect compliment, the center will output 60-70 percent of the total sound in ht, so in the same room with the corns you need a very active and dynamic center, this is the la, it does an amayzing job on all dialog, birds, explosions, and just when you think you have had it all ? here comes the corns to pound your chest with the bass slam. an heresy in the mix would be good, but small by comparison, does not have the dynamics of either the corn or lascalla, pan down a bit, and you can see my ht rig, i think the only way to improve would be 5 cornerhorns, get 1 more la, or corn, and you would have much more than an ht, you would have a theatre in house12.gif

You have a great start for a HT. I would go with the La Scala for center and the Corns as your right and left main. Do NOT skimp on the center channel. For HT, this is your most important speaker. I use Heresy for side effects and they match my Belles and La Scala very well. In time, you will want to upgrade your A/V receiver. The new DSP modes are worth having. I particulary like DTS and THX Ultra 2.

Take your time selecting your speakers and enjoy the process.