Diffrent tubes for diffrent music?

kuisis

I went tubes out of curiosity. I happened into this forum because I bought a pair of Ind. La Scalas for almost nothing and wanted some information. I ended up buying a 730 HK because of what was said in the two channel forum and also because it was inexpensive. The difference between that older HK and my almost new Sherwood was incredible. So when I hear the same people say how much better the tube amps are I have to listen. I bought the amp from another forum member and It's in transit from Arizona. Plus Tube glow is the ultimate mood lighting.

----------------

On 11/30/2003 12:37:58 AM kuisis wrote:

I went tubes out of curiosity. I happened into this forum because I bought a pair of Ind. La Scalas for almost nothing and wanted some information. I ended up buying a 730 HK because of what was said in the two channel forum and also because it was inexpensive. The difference between that older HK and my almost new Sherwood was incredible. So when I hear the same people say how much better the tube amps are I have to listen.

----------------

YES!! I did exactly the same thing for exactly the same reason. I recently bought a tube combo and am having it reworked by a forum member (Craig) based solely on the writings and praise of the other members here. I will ultimately get a turntable and start shopping for vinyl for the same reason. I'll also revisit the 300 or so odd records I've carted around for years instead of throwing them away.

I can't help but think that these members have already made the stupid mistakes and done the homework. I can also tell that they are passionate about all things audio. It's a good place to pay attention.

1.gif1.gif

----------------

On 11/29/2003 11:02:34 PM kuisis wrote:

I should be getting my new, and first ever, tube amp (scott 222C) in the mail soon and was wondering if some manufacturers tubes were better for different styles of music.

----------------

What tubes are in the integrated amp now?

Keith

BTW, you'll like the 222-C with the LaScalas. I have a couple of them myself.

Significant differences in sound CAN be effected by tube rolling.

Rather than a "flavor of the month" it is really a vaild way to optimize your tube amp or preamp in your system/environment.

One problem is that it is well nigh impossible to predict how a tube will sound in your system, so you must try different tubes until you find the ones that make your music in your system in your room sound best.

Recommendations, unless from people who has your same equipment (and even then it is risky) are often useless (I found this out the expensive way, buying lots of highly recommended NOS tubes which sounded less than stellar in my system).

Best of luck,

Tony

----------------

On 11/30/2003 3:24:22 AM smilin wrote:

Yeah I know what you giys meen, follow the frikin leader, get tubes, see what it's all about...oh hell just keep spending as long as you got it!!
11.gif

----------------

ok... looks like you're the leader now! wow.. what a change. (judgin' from your post about the whole enchalada)

Forrest