What is the most compact Tempest sub?

fivelitermustang

Does anybody have any ideas on a ported Tempest that puts out good response to 25Hz?

Currently, I have it in a 3CF sealed box with an Adire AVA250. I'd like a little more low end output... the current setup drops off pretty fast @ ~40-50Hz.

I'd like to keep the box compact, no sonotubes though. I don't really want a 10CF box in my room. Any ideas would be great.

How would a 5CF box tuned to about 22Hz sound? How much port area do I need?

I also have a Shiva that I used to use in my SUV. I know the Shiva would be more optimal in the same sized small box than a Tempest but the Tempest is more efficient and drops lower.

The smallest ported Tempest box I've seen Dan Wiggins recommend is a 160-170L tuned to 18hz with a 4" flared port. This enclosure will however not allow the Tempest to reach it's full potential.

Both the Shiva and the Tempest are capable of playing well below 20hz, if put in the right enclosure. And both can be powered to their limits with 250W, again enclosure dependant. The big difference is, given a proper enclosure, the Tempest has a litre more displacement ability than the Shiva. Which allows it to play louder. A pair of Shivas should be able to outgun a Tempest though (0.5L displacement advantage). But a pair of Shiva's would need two 4-5 ft^3 boxes or one 8-10ft^3 box.

With a box that small, you will get about a 1-2dB hump in the response. Also, if you do use a box that size, (2) 3" ports about 13.5" long might work. The length you would need on two 4" ports may be too long and a single 4" has a high velocity at 20Hz.

To be honest, I am not sure how it would sound, but it does model up o.k. Just remember, theoretical and actual are two different things. Some people can use the 122L sealed design in a room and get good extension down to 20-25Hz. Others cannot get anything useful under 30Hz. The room has a lot to do with it.

I am sure you have looked, but Adire has some great Tempest plans. I went with the DPL12, but the tempest was next on the list.

I am sure others will correct any of my mistakes and be able to give you advice that is more experienced than mine. You may want to get some modeling software. There is plenty of freeware out there.