Mike Stehr

sheltie dave

Mike,

I have a line on an Eico HF 81, and I can't have it coming here. If I get it, would your be willing to give it TLC and put it up in your orphanage for 6 to 8 months, to be nurtured and cossetted by your Cornwalls? It is represented to be in "fine" working condition, which means it still passes noises and nothing currently is fried. While cynical, as Dean has stated, if it ain't checked thoroughly, it still is fourty years old torward broken. PM your address if you are interested.

I rebuilt the Sherwood mono 6bq5x4, and am driving the third Belle with it. It's an easy chore to find all the sound shorts in the house now - I just crank the Khorns and the Belles, and anything not well secured starts a buzzing and a dancing. It also forces me to play material that has at least five seconds in between songs if I am to beat feet downstairs to change selections without suffering further hearing loss2.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2003 10:48:57 AM sheltie dave wrote:

Mike,

I have a line on an Eico HF 81, and I can't have it coming here. If I get it, would your be willing to give it TLC and put it up in your orphanage for 6 to 8 months, to be nurtured and cossetted by your Cornwalls? It is represented to be in "fine" working condition, which means it still passes noises and nothing currently is fried. While cynical, as Dean has stated, if it ain't checked thoroughly, it still is fourty years old torward broken. PM your address if you are interested.

---------------------------------------------------------

I'll store it for you however long you want, but I won't use it. I'm not going to use a unchecked vintage unit, 'cause if it decides to take a dive, then I'm liable.

If I did, I would take it to Dan's and have it checked.

But he's in California for the Holidays.

I don't have a variac or DC tube power supply, so I can't really bring a amp up from the dead. Just plugging it in and hitting the dirt is my only option.

----------------------------------------------------------

I rebuilt the Sherwood mono 6bq5x4, and am driving the third Belle with it. It's an easy chore to find all the sound shorts in the house now - I just crank the Khorns and the Belles, and anything not well secured starts a buzzing and a dancing. It also forces me to play material that has at least five seconds in between songs if I am to beat feet downstairs to change selections without suffering further hearing loss

-----------------------------------------------------

You picked up that Sherwood up here at some Antique store, right?

I didn't recall you mentioning that it was a quad 6BQ5 mono amp, must have some balls from what you post.

The local college(EWU)has a silent auction set-up in a old Grocery store by the Post Office.

I went in there thinking I was going to just see Computer garbage and desks, chairs, etc...

I spotted a pallet with a pair of 15 inch woofers, one Altec D130, and JBL D130. Both cones do have 2 inch rips in them(probably the gomers who tossed them on top of the pallet).

I didn't check for voice coil rubs either, DOH!

2 older Altec microphone pre-amps(the green one's with the little plug-in transformers, with transformers), a pair of SS Altec mic pre-amps , or one is a power amp. A Tandberg recorder, a TV set and a bunch of other garbage.

I'll find out Thursday if I won the auction I guess.

2.gif

----------------

Mike, hope you won the pallet. Last time they had some nasty Boston A100s and a bad Teac powered mixing board there. Did you liberate that TV power transformer?

I actually got the Sherwood dumpster diving here in St. Louis behind an electronics store. A Crown D75 caught my eye, and I ended up totally in the dumpster, something my Dad claimed for years I would end up doing if I didn't change my ways.

I decided to pass on the Eico. Since I am becoming domesticated again, I am going to spend the mula on a beautiful watercolor with twenty roses. I'm sure this will put a bloom on the night rather than a hide on my ***, if you catch the drift5.gif

----------------

On 12/2/2003 3:48:24 PM sheltie dave wrote:

Mike, hope you won the pallet. Last time they had some nasty Boston A100s and a bad Teac powered mixing board there. Did you liberate that TV power transformer?

-----------------------------------------------------------

No. Now the place is all empty, the windows are gone and everything else. The little apartment or whatever is still intact, so it may not be wise to just waltz in there, I dunno...

I actually got the Sherwood dumpster diving here in St. Louis behind an electronics store. A Crown D75 caught my eye, and I ended up totally in the dumpster, something my Dad claimed for years I would end up doing if I didn't change my ways.

As long as your not eating the stale doughnuts and other food in there it's OK.

I decided to pass on the Eico. Since I am becoming domesticated again, I am going to spend the mula on a beautiful watercolor with twenty roses. I'm sure this will put a bloom on the night rather than a hide on my ***, if you catch the drift5.gif

Yup. After last night I'm glad Heidi's around.

I'm driving home from Town and my pickup battery decides to drop down to about 10, 6, volts, etc...

This is when the blizzard rolls in.

I pull off I-90, mess with the battery, push start it, get gas,Seems cool, appears to be charging. Pull on I-90, get about 2 miles and the bastard did it again.

So I jump on 195 southbound to get to Cheney Spokane RD where the nearest gas station is.

About 4 miles, no lights, no wipers, total heavy sloppy snow blizzard, running 6 volts more than likely by then, and the ignition is losing spark.

It was fortunate for me that Heidi just got home, and came and picked me up.

If not, I would have been sleeping in pick-up, or walking ten miles or so in the snow. Either way, I was dogged.

I could have got a jump from someone, but I don't think they would have had the patience to charge up a completely dead battery to get me enough light power to get home.

And my cables are garbage.

I guess it's time to spoil Heidi.

6.gif