AMPEX 936

DRBILL

I just bought a brand new, sealed in-the-box, never plugged in, forty-seven year old AMPEX 936 reel-to-real tape deck on E-BAY! $30. It was on the shelf of a defunct radio station. When I bought my first one (still in use) it cost me a month's wages. In today's dollars that would be a staggering sum. These are built like a tank and have the famous Ampex heads that don't "keystone" with wear.

Of course, I'll have about a week's worth of work before I plug it in. The grease and oil have turned into orange marmalade and I'll have to bring the voltage up slowly to "make up" the electrolytics. It is on the bench.

What a find.

FATHER BILL+

----------------

On 12/4/2003 10:21:06 AM Maron Horonzak wrote:

Ampex 936? I Dont know this one. Do you have pics? Im looking for a 10 1/2 2 track play back only R&R.
----------------

Maron,

It is exactly like the AMPEX 960 --the one in the gray Samsonite Luggage case, except it is rack mount and playback, only. It weighs about 40#. HEAVY flywheel. Half track stereo with a mechanical head shifter for quarter track. 7" reel. 7.5/3.75 ips. I've seen these in radio stations all over the South.

BILL+

----------------

On 12/4/2003 3:26:24 PM larryclare wrote:

I believe there was also a 934, the same model and chassis without the playback electronics. Leads would plug directly into a "tape head" input such as the Marantz 7 and others had at the time.
----------------

I have actually seen one of these and also some other similar devices from other manufacturers. Frankly, it was a bad idea. A few inches from head to electronics works fine. But the extremely low output from heads trying to find a preamplifier feet away was a disaster. We could start with high frequency loss and add hum and on and on. I suspect the 934 had a very short run.

But having said this, it would be hard to find better equipment than AMPEX turned out in the late 50's and 60's. The fact that my 960 is alive and well in 2003 speaks volumes.

Did you ever see any Berlant tape equipment? It was a close second.

I wish I could find belts for the "900" series. Any ideas?

Father Bill+

I had a Berlant Concertone 90. They are still around. I sold mine & got a Crown 800. Then a AMPEX 602. Then a Technics 1500. Then a AMPEX 440B. Then my back went out. Then I went to some thing lighter a SONY PCM F1 digital, My back now feels better.