RP-5's???????

rminten

I am new to the Klipsch world, and I just bought the 'top of the line' home theatre system.....2 RP-5's, 1 RC-3, 2 RS-3's and one sub, a KSW-12....and now I'm hearing about these RF-7's. What I want to know is where do my speakers line up with the best of Klipsch.

Thanks for the input..

Randy

yes very nice set-up. i use to have the rp-3, then the rp-5 & ...

anyway, curious rmin. how does the ksw sub sound w/ the rp-5 (which have 2 powered subs of their own)?

i never went that far just in another direction cwm12.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics direct drive turntable

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

Thanks for the input. I don't know anything about the different product lines, so I relied on my local salesman at the electronics store, so I'm glad to hear I did ok.

I hope someone can explain the differences between the different lines of speakers. What is the RP vs RF? Synergy? Legends? Home Audio speakers vs. Pro Audio speakers??

Also, when I bought these, they had a pair of the legend speakers, which with the music I listen too (dance club music), sounded really great, but lacked a bit in the mid-range. Therefore I went with the RP-5's, especially since this was going to be for my Home Theatre setup. I'm still looking for the right speakers to buy for my club music...seperate system from my Home Theatre. Any suggestions? They'll need to handle alot of power and mixing. I guess the legend line is discontinued. Should I go and grab those Legends if they still have them? Should I get the RF-7's???

The sub sounds really great with the RP-5's built-in subs...very clean, and adds the right amount of really low bass...especially with being in it's own box.

Thanks again for the input...looking forward to some more answers to my questions!!

Randy

randy, glad those rp are blending well w/ that ksw for ye. which receiver/amp u have & how do u have the rp hooked up & what settings for the bass management on the receiver? just curious again.

which legends did you listen? hope they weren't the klf-30 because most including me think the 30s have plenty o' midrange; & some think too much.

i'd highly recommend those for club tunes. lot of depends to cover there though. but the klf-30 do have that mid-bass (2nd octive up) slam if that's what u like. Biggrin.gif

many other good 15in subs out there too, like velodyne ct-150 f.e.

no "objective" reviews on the new ref speaks. & the new klipsch subs sound like they'll be killers though not out til late summer.

much info & specs for klipsch speaks past, present & future are on the klipsch.com front page under home audio.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-08-2001 at 11:54 AM

boa12...thanks again for the input.

For my amp, I've got a Yamaha RX-V800 with the RP-5's, RC-3, and the KSW-12 connected with Monster Cables and the RS-3's connected with regular speaker cable. I haven't set anything on the receiver for bass management...how should that be set?

I don't know what Legends I listened too, but they did kick. Are the KLF-30's the ones to get? I didn't go with them because I wanted all my home theater speakers to match, so I got the reference series for all of them.

What is the diff between the RP and the RF (as in RP-5's vs. RF-5's)?? Can't find anything on the Klipsch site

Here are the settings on the back of the RP'5's and the KSW-12, with some questions also. Any input on these settings is appreciated!

RP-5's:

Line Level: Normal (12 noon)

Bass Contour: 2pm

HI-In - monster cable from stereo

?? Not using the Low-In. Is this correct? The subs are putting out, so the must be getting the signal from the High-In

KSW-12:

Level: 7

Low Pass (HZ): - just over 100

Power: Auto

Phase: 180

Line In - Using L/LFE, not the 'R' input. Is this correct?

Here is the rest of my system:

Sony 57" Widescreen: KP57XBR10

Yamaha RX-V800 Cinema DSP w/ Dolby Digital, DTS

Sony DVD: DVP-S500D; using Component Video to the Widescreen, Digital out to the receiver

Sony

Sony CD Player: CDP-C225

Klipsch: 2-RP5, 2-RS3, 1-RC3, 1-KSW12

So far, I'm really happy with the sound of the system...DVD's are really great. I would still like more kick\sizzle out of the RP-5's for my club music.....maybe the legends would do this for me??? The RP-5's sound great...just don't have the 'kick' that I want with the club music. Are there any settings I can set on the speakers or receiver to get more mid-kick?

Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Randy

if they sound great already u may not want to change anything, but hey a few tweeks are always worth a try Smile.gif

1st, i didn't have a seperate sub w/ the rp. but i connected the rp lfe inputs using both sub outputs on my receiver. u can always use a Y-splitter and/or the lfe out from one rp to the other's lfe in. should give u better, tighter bass & improved lfe.

leave the rp also connected by the speaker terminals(high) to your yammy front terminals.

but i did i take off those gold straps & replaced w/ heavy speaker wire for some marginal sound improvemnt (no biggy there).

use a Y splitter to connect both inputs of the ksw. should gain about 6db bass output that way.

now u may get some bass interference between the ksw & the rp subs. u can always turn down the crossover on the ksw until it sounds right like for music. like maybe all the way down.

need to do some experimenting, but probably best to set all the speakers to small in the yammy bass management.

sub:yes. if you have the lfe control, probably will work best on SW(Sub only).

try some different settings & such but remember where u started if u like it already. just some things could make it even better (we keep telling ourselves). imo the above hook-ups will give u more & better bass. well maybe along w/ placing & setting the ksw best.

big dif between the rp & rf: rp are powered towers - an amplified sub section - whereas the rf are not. so usually the rf are helped more w/ a good powered sub like your ksw.

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

This message has been edited by boa12 on 06-08-2001 at 02:34 PM

Boa....thanks again for the input. I'm learning alot!

More questions:

What is the diff between using the lfe inputs vs. the normal speaker wire inputs? I'm thinking, based on your comments, that the lfe is (low frequency?)..hence you connected your sub out from your receiver to your RF's lfe input. Am I right?

From your comments (.... u can always use a Y-splitter and/or the lfe out from one rp to the other's lfe in. should give u better, tighter bass & improved lfe),

Q: could you explain why I would go from the RP's lfe outs to the other RP's lfe in? Without know what lfe is, it's hard for me to understand.

Another comment from you with my questions (...need to do some experimenting, but probably best to set all the speakers to small in the yammy bass management. sub:yes. if you have the lfe control, probably will work best on SW(Sub only).

Q: What does setting the speakers to 'small' do? Also, The LFE settings on the Yamaha I have found are: 1. DTS LFE Level, with a Speaker and Headphonse setting.....0db to 10db; 2. LFE Level, 0db to -20db; 3. LFE/Bass OUT (SWFR, Main, Both - currently set to both).

I've played around with these, changing the settings to 'small', 'big'....can't really tell much difference. I'll play around a little more based on your suggestions. The Lfe stuff is a mystery to me....maybe you can help..or....Maybe I should read the manual!!

The RP's are powered, the RF's aren't. Is the sub the only thing that's powered, or the tweet and mid-horn too? Is it better to have the power at the speaker instead of using the receiver power?

Ok...I'm going to look for my manual. Thanks again for your help!!!

Randy

yea both manuals may help some for the basics.

don't let the term lfe on components like the rp fool you. it just means a nonfiltered input-which goes only to your rp powered sub section, seperate from the top drivers which are not powered. you're already getting a connection to the powered subs w/ the rp low speaker terminals. the line connects to the lfe may really help on any lfe. did for me.

see the lfe file attached.

u would go from one rp lfe out to the other's lfe in since u won't have enough sub out jacks on your yammy.

at most you'll have 2. if u try to hook up the rp lfe ins you'll see.

as for the speaker settings, yea u won't hear much dif w/ your current hook-up. now you'd want the fronts set to large definitely, & probably the center & rear on small. also the lfe/bass out set to both.

if u go to the line level connects to the rp lfe ins, then you'd want to put fronts also on small & move the lfe/bass out to swfr(sub only).

------------------

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Monster MCX Biwires

Sega Genesis game player

rock on!

Strange...I only have speaker connections to the HI-In terminals on the RP's, the Low-In terminals doesn't have anything from the receiver...yet I'm getting sound out of the sub on the RP! WTF??

Thanks for clearing up the Lfe issue, and the attachment.

What are your thoughts on Yamaha amps and the one I have (RX-V800) in particular? Is this a good one for this Klipsch system?

And....have the Legends been replaced by the RF-7's? And, finally, where to the KLF'30's fit into the Legend line...what others were available?

Take care....

Randy

randy, that's because you probably have those gold bridges on the rp speaker terminals that connect the corresponding highs to the low terminals. look between

the upper & lower terminals & you'll see 'em shining.

i'd replace those w/ some speaker wire like you're using for the receiver connection. may not want to bother though. no big if any difference in sound quality.

Yamaha produces great recievers. I have the RX-V1000 and my Klipsch sound great!!!! There are some differences between mine and yours. The optional 6th speaker and better remote are the main difference. YOu have a great system!!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3

RC-3

Synergy Rear surounds