Arkam vs. Marantz for RF3's

ArtK

Hi all...

I've been shopping for a new AV receiver to go with a Klipsch Reference 3 setup. I'd been favoring the Marantz SR19EX or perhaps the 8000, since the 3db drop-off at around 2kHz seemed like a good fit with the horn. My primary focus is music, and I'm currently running RF3's with a 10-year-old Radio Shack special receiver, so it's hard to predict sound with a new, good unit. (But it does currently sound a trifle bright.)

The last shop I tried (nobody stocks Marantz for me to audition) wanted to sell me an Arkam AVR100 instead. My living room is 14x16, so volume probably isn't an issue. Looking in AudioReview.com I found some build quality issues but high praise for the sound quality.

Has anybody compared the Arcam with the Marantz with RF3's? I have sheetrock walls except drapes for most of one, carpets, upholstery, wooden furniture. Do I have to worry about shrillness with music?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Art Kilner

• 1 month later...

Arcam makes excellent quality products that are very hard to beat for the money. We own several pieces from the FMJ series that we have used here in product development. The receiver you're referring to is from the DiVA series. It has gotten pretty good reviews and should work very well with RF-3's. The US distributor for Arcam is here in Indy if you have any questions RE: any of their products that your dealer can't answer for you.

(This isn't meant as a pitch against the Marantz, but rather an endorsement for the Arcam as I know that brand. I've not had very much experience with marantz, but have heard good things. Leave it up to your ears and wallet to decide which one is better for your application. Also, make sure the shop has a policy that will allow you to exchange the unit if you get it home and don't like it. Be sure to allow a few days for some experimentation and set-up before you decide you don't like it though.)

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

ArtK:

I have owned a Marantz SR-19EX for the past three months and think it is one of the best units on the market. I had two Sony ES555 units that gave me no end of trouble, really bad hissing plus a crappy remote.

The Marantz works very well with the horns on the RF3 speakers. It tends too make them sound smoother. I have not listened to the Arkam so I cannot comment.

I have the complete set of Reference Series speakers for my HT and for music.

I would highly recommend the Marantz SR-19EX with any Klipsch product.

Good luck

Ben

• 2 weeks later...

The Marantz SR19EX is a beautiful Receiver, I own the SR18EX. I wish the 19EX existed when I got my 18EX (1/2 the cost). That is a world class Receiver at 1/2 the cost of the Big Boy's (future 6.1 and 7.1 also). You are better off with the 19EX over the 8000 IMHO. I don't know Arcam....Adcom yes....

Klipsch Khorns(f)

Klipsch La Scala's(rs)

Klipsch Hersey II's(s)

2-KLFC7's(c,rc)

Adcom ACE-515 Enhancer(line condition\protect)

1976 Marantz 6200 turntable

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

3-Marantz MA700 mono block amps(Khorns rc C7)

Marantz VM5100 S-VHS hifi vcr

Marantz DV7100 Progressive Scan DVD

Marantz CD4050 dual casette tape

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel and single tray CDR

Toshiba HDTV 50HX70(soon to exchange for TW50H80!)

DVDO Iscan V2 (line doubler)

All Monster cables around.....

IBM laptop with Klipsch Pro Media 2.1(Bose Killers)

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 08-19-2001 at 11:09 PM

IF you are looking at the Marantz 8000 take a look at the new 7200 model. I demoed it side by side with the Denon 3802 (a very popular model around these parts) and thought it was superior. The owner of the most upscale stereo shop here in town personally owns the Marantz 7000 and loves it but said with all the improvements made for the 7200 model wishes he would have waited. He is considering not even stocking the new 8200 when it comes out because from what he's seen of the specs, he doesn't think it would provide enough value to warrant paying an extra $300-400. The Marantz line is excellent and I will be demoing the 7200 and 8000 side by side to find out if there is really any difference between the two. If not, I will buy the 7200 on the spot, if so, well....I guess I'll have to wait until I can hear the 8200 and make my final decision then.

Does anyone know much about the feature that lets you program in your Marantz receiever how far you are away from your speakers to "optimize" your listening expereince? I read about it in another forum, and this just sounds like another reason to go with Marantz if you are a music fan who can't make your listening area the "perfect" dimensions like myself. I wish I could have told you a little more about the Arcam models but I haven't really heard enough of their products to make an educated decison vs. the Marantz models.

Juan

This message has been edited by JuHorvath on 08-19-2001 at 10:55 AM

juan, those distance settings are for delay in the dsp modes of an a/v receiver. about every a/v receiver has them.

one thing the sr8000 has are those Copper-shielded HDAMs (High Definition Amplifier Modules). seemed to me those gave some sound quality improvement over the sr7000 but of course the 8000 had a lil more power too. i'm curious to hear how that new sr7200 compares to the 8000 in sound quality. maybe no audible difference? & maybe the sr8200 & sr9200 will have those HDAMs(?).

also wonder 'bout the new remotes. is that for the sr7200 a lighted remote? & again have they put in any

crossover adustability on the bass mgmt of the sr7200?

• 1 month later...

quote:

Originally posted by boa12:

have they put in any

crossover adustability on the bass mgmt of the sr7200?

I'm wondering this as well. If there isn't, then what is the crossover frequency set at?

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Platinum eX)

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Carver Knight Shadow)

I have to go with JimG,as I did listen to some Arcam

separates at home and they are very musical.Less features and more axed on pure sound quality.

The Arcam is a definite must to audition with the RF-3.

As the Marantz goes ,I heard the SR18 in a A/B test against the Denon 5800.Again a very high class reciever,never agressive,great sounding.The SR19 has newer features and should sound very close to the SR18.

If you will also listen to music alot then the Arcam should get the win,if its movies and you must have all the extra features then a SR19 is a good choice.

The Arcam is less impressive looking but sounds very impressive if you ask me.The Marantz SR19 has looks to match.

If used alone(no external power amp)the Arcam would get my vote.Musicality

TheEAR(s) Now theears

quote:

Originally posted by oogins:

I'm wondering this as well. If there isn't, then what is the crossover frequency set at?

Looking at the specs for the SR7200, I can only assume that there's no adjustable crossover. So what's the crossover usually set at for Marantz receivers? I didn't get a response last time I asked this, so hopefully I will get one this time. I know a few people own Marantz receivers, so I know this isn't a hard question.

------------------

-Paul

AMD T-Bird 900

Asus A7V

Micron 256 MB PC-133

IBM 30 GB 7200 rpm ATA 100

Pioneer DVD-105 Slot-Load (16X/40X)

3Dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

NEC MultiSync M700 17" (soon to be Sony G420S 19")

SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1 (soon to be Audigy Platinum eX)

Receiver: Kenwood VR-409 (soon to be Denon AVR-2802)

Speakers: Klipsch Quintets (5 sats + center)

Sub: Sony SA-W305 (soon to be Sunfire Junior or Carver Knight Shadow)