wall/ceiling mount Chorus II

krispykoilz

Hello, I'm thinking of mounting my Chorus II's upside down in the corners of my listening room. I'm thinking that the tweeter should be pointed down and toed in so they intersect approximately 3/4's of the way into the room and somewhere between 4' to 6' off the floor. It is a small room 13'X17'X8' and the main reason for me doing this would be to hopefully make the room appear more spacious. Has anyone tried hanging these awesome sounding monsters? Does anyone have any tips or tricks for me? Any positive and/or negative feedback would be greatly appreciated before I attempt to do this. If I need to add more info please ask. Thanks.

Personally? I think you should sit down, have a doughnut and stick to more church oriented social activities!

I would not think it would make the room look more spacious, in fact I think it would be pretty bizzar. The Chorus II's were not designed to be hung and I think you may damage them in a attempt to do so. Do what you will but I think you would be better off leaving them on the ground. Try using speakers designed to be ceiling or wall mounted.

Hi Krispy

Welcome to the Forum.

I thought about mounting my Forte's on my walls of my HT for a bit than gave up on the idea mainly because of the passive radiator on the back, just like the Chorus has, will make it very difficult to do.

Also, with the Forte and Chorus, you kind of have to play around with the speaker location in the corners of the room to get the best sound for your room.

I think you will have a very hard time mounting your Chorus the way you described.

Now for the record, For HT, the surrounds always sound better mounted over your listening point. I have my Heresys on my sides and rears of my Heritage HT mounted on the walls angled down to my listening area. The Heresy is a very easy floor standing speakers to mount. I have seen LaScalla's used as surrounds mounted inverted for HT this way too.

JM

As mentioned, the rear passive radiator can make it challenging, since you don't want them right up against the wall. However, sitting diagonally in a corner, you DO have some space, so you could try playing with placement to see if it sounds good to you.

If you decide to "fly" your Chorus's, you'll need to build a shelf to sit them on. Their cabinets are not designed to support their weight when hung. I have a Forte on a shelf over my RPTV, suspended from ceiling joists using wire rope. However, that is almost half the weight of a Chorus!!

DD

I'm personally a fan of mounting speakers high in the corners...

I wouldn't worry too much about the vertical aspects of the tweeters because their dispersion angle should be just fine (btw, how tall are your cielings?). And to get the correct toe in, you can find the best angles on the floor, and just match that on the cieling.

Now as far as mounting, are you wanting to hang them, or place them on a "stand"? I don't think a wall mount is going to work with the passive radiator.

If you hang them, it's common practice to build a shelf that the speaker itself will rest on, and the shelf is what is actually hanging. just imagine 3 chains holding a triangular board that is strong enough to hold your speaker. (3 is generally better than 4 as long as the triangle made can contain the square of the speaker). If you do this, make sure that your cieling can handle the load (running boards that go perpendicular to the cieling joists and connecting the chains there would be an idea). and also make sure that the connection points are secure too. 90lbs would make a good sized dent if it ever fell. also, for added security, you could also attach a support to the top of the speaker to help keep things from tipping over if they ever got bumped.

A more secure approach would be to put some sort of cabinet or shelf or something underneath to put the speakers on...but then i think this might defeat the purpose of opening up the room 2.gif

Thanks everyone for your replies and the welcome. I guess that it would be possible to construct some sort of angle iron frame to fit the speaker into and hang or mount that without putting too much stress on the actual speaker. Looks like a little knowledge of building construction and physics is necessary to ensure that they stay up. Maybe even a safety cable like they put on ceiling fans could be used. If I go for this I'll start by mounting my Kg 4.5 rears which should be easier. I'll grab a couple of ladders to put them on, that should give me an idea of how they will look and sound before I spend a bunch of time and money on this. Oh, and I do realize that by hanging the Chorus II's it is not going to have the effect of making them disappear. I'm still going to have two huge honkin speakers, it's just that right now each is sitting on top of a SD 15" self powered sub and I'm thinking that if I could see the wall behind them it may give the illusion of more space. I may be wrong.

One thing you might investigate are swiveling bracket systems for TVs. Check weigh ratings.

I do agree that the mdf of the Chorus is not designed to be a point of load. So a solid support from the bottom is the best way to go.

The next issue is whether the connection between the wall and the bracket will take the dead load and the "moment" or torque. You'll have to make sure the screws are big enough and get well engaged into a couple of stud.

My relatives tease me that when I build something, it has to be The Brooklyn Bridge. Roebling and Son were correct, though, in my view.

Best,

Gil

Thanks Gil, when I first heard the Chorus it didn't take me long to decide that they were the speakers for me, however; by the time I was able to afford them the Chorus II's had replaced them. I was very surprised when unpacking them and seen the passive radiator on the back of them. I'm very pleased with their sound whether sitting in front of them or turning them up and listening to them from another room in the house or even outside. The passive radiator puts limitations on setup though, I couldn't cut holes in an inside wall and place them into the wall for instance. I agree with you on building "Brooklyn bridge" style.