Receiver choices

bobd

So I've been reading a lot on these boards and I've come to the conclusion that if I want a SS receiver that is under $1000 and can give me a warmer sound on my Fortes' I should look for a Marantz 2270 or Harmon Kardon 430/470. But, if I wanted to go new what brands match more favorably with my Fortes'(ie Denon,Nakamichi,NAD).

Thanks,

Bob

Bob,for 1k or slightly less you can find a variety of good avr's.The HK is a good choice,for under 1k the 7200 or 525.Most of the co's you mentioned make good equipment,the Denon 3802 or 3803 is an oustanding unit thats well under 1k and on the warm side.Just try the ones you can and you'll find a unit that you thinks right.

Bob,

I have a number of amps and receivers, including the Marantz 2270 (mostly for nostalgia sake). If you are willing to spend a $1000, I would go for a used tube amp for better music.

The Fortes are efficient so you don't need a lot of power. As an annecdotal evidence I had a friend of mine that had a Yamaha receiver of some sort that went kaputz on him, when he was in the middle of a divorce. I gave him an old receiver that I had that put out about 12 watts per channel - Solid State. He claimed it sounded better than his 100 watt per channel Yamaha ever did.

If you are going to spend a $1000, hang around here and read a lot of the amp threads and you will see that most folks will recommend tubes. There are SET vs. Push-Pull wars, but one thing that most will agree on is that tubes are sweet. Don't be in a hurry to buy, you'll change your mind every week or so for the first couple of years9.gif