RB-35's or RB-75's

marcb515

I currently have a 1988 pair of Cerwin Vega's, with a 12" woofers in them, which produce excellent bass sound. I also have a pair of PSB's for the surrounds. I have the center channel split netween the Cerwin Vega's, with an Onkyo TX-DS-747.

My wife wants me to get the Bose Acoustimass 10 system, but I'm of the older school, and just don't believe you can get the good sound out of those small speakers. I would like to just like to replace the woffers in my old CW's, but she insists on new speakers.

I like the RB 35's & RB-75's, and would like to know how good/deep the base sounds on them?

The Bo$e system has only one virtue and many vices. The one virtue is WAF due to size. The vices include but are not limited to cost way in excess of value, no highs or lows (it must be Bo$e), bass modules that do not perform adequately and difficulty integrating Bo$e products into a complete system. We could go on for pages about the poor sound quality of Bo$e, but there isn't much point in beating a dead hor$e.

Both Klipsch bookshelf speakers have good bass for their size, but the RB-75 is in a much higher class than the RB-35. The 75's compression horn is very similar to the RF-7 which is the top of the Reference line. As with any bookshelf speaker, both would benefit from a good subwoofer being in the system.

On my next home theater, I would go with 7 identical speakers, all RB-75s. At present, I have towers and RS rears with an RC center. My current Reference 7 package is excellent, but identical speakers is the best solution to home theater.

Bill

No, I have RF-7s as my fronts. I was just wondering how 7 RC-7s would sound instead of RB-75s. The RC-7 has the exact same tweeter as the RF-7 and two 8" woofers instead of one compared to the RB-75.

I know some people have thought about using RC-7s as their back surrounds and side surrounds instead of RS-7s. The RC-7 is an awesome speaker, if you could rotate the tweeter and stand it up on it's end it would be a cool mini-tower or bookshelf type speaker that rocks.

Vital,

Back on 7/21/01 this is what BobG from Klipsch had to say about RC-7's to Deang:

deang, the RC-7 actually makes a very nice main speaker and three across the front with sub is an interesting setup. Here are a couple of points worth noting. 1)The holes in the horn and the cabinet are bi-axially symmetrical (cool term I just made up) so that you can rotate the horn 90 degrees and use the same holes. 2) The RC-7 uses a tapered array crossover with one woofer crossed out earllier than the other to minimize comb filtering in the midrange and the choppy frequency response that would result. This also means that the speaker will sound a bit different depending on which end is up. You'll have to listen and it will depend on whether the speaker is above or below ear height. 3) There are holes in what is usually the bottom of the speaker. These holes accommodate the tilting legs used when the center is higher than the mains. This means that the holes will be visible when the speaker is stood on end.

Few extra dollars? The RF-7's are twice the price as the RB-75's. I looked at both, but went with the 75's for $975 from an authorized dealer, the RF-7's would have been around $1900. When I have more money I will probably get a pair, they are definitely an awesome speaker. Though is WAF is an issue, the RB-75's sound awesome, are much smaller than comparable floorstanders, and are a very attractive piece of furniture with the real wood veneer.

As for the bass on the 75's it is mostly there, though at loud volumes is gets a bit distorted. They still get plenty loud enough though. A floorstanding speaker will certainly have deeper and punchier bass, and this is the trade off between the 75's and say the RF-35s, which are around the same price. However, the tweeter in the 75's is worth it, IMO, which is why I went with them. If you want it all, then the RF-7's are the answer, but for much more money and size.

James