THX - Ultimate Bass test

Net22

Hi Guys,

When I play THX Ultimate bass test.mp3 (Downloaded from Napster) My Pros starts to make crackling sound and the sound is very high and very annoying. My control pod settings are subwoofer 50%, surround 75% and main 50%. But I have played the mp3 before without any distortion control pod settings were subwoofer 70%, surround 75% and main 75% without any distortion. My sound card is live value and sound setting in software is Main 80%, wave 100%, Bass & treble at 50%. When I try to hear Limp Bizkit or anything, which has tight bass all the speakers, starts to make crackling noise. Is it OK or do I have a faulty speakers? Please let me your comments.

Thanks.

I think something might be wrong

I play the THX thing, they play in theaters, where it goes low to high. And it sounds fine.

And when I play Limp Biz, it also sounds fine. It hits. No distortion.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Klipsch Pro Media v2 400 ( soon to be 4.1 )

2 Fisher STV-873's on front channel

2 Fisher surrounds on rear channel

I keep my Main computer volume at 70%

I keep the Wav volume at 80-100%

My subwoofer any where from all the way down because it bothers my grandma, to All the way up because I want it loud and no ones home.

My rears, I keep all the way up.

I keep the Main volume on my pod at about, 50

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

I usualy run my control pod at about... 11 oclock.

Or 3-4 oclock. if that helps.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

quote:

I play the THX thing, they play in theaters, where it goes low to high. And it sounds fine

Actually he is talking about

P.E.B Ultimate subwoofer Test

which has been renamed to THX - ultimate bass test etc..

its exactly the same file, this one is ment to stress woofers with tones below 20 Hz so i wouldnt be frightend if you hear some port noise. Actually i think your problem is:

1. your sub amp is dieing / broken / or overheated.

2. The crackling sounds could be result of the imput source being too loud. try turning sub volume to min, main volume low, gradually go up until you hear lots of port noise, i wouldnt go past that, try turning you windows volumes down too, or your EQ in winamp mess with the preamp. make sure its flat! that song is definatly NOT meant to be used with an EQ or BASS enhancers of any kind. so leave your sub at neutral and try it again.

It might just be that it has to cool off.hope this helpscwm19.gifcwm3.gif

Swerv,

The problem wasn't there before. It worked fine. I have posted all of my settings in the BB. It worked just fine. Nothing was wrong then. It happened all of a sudden. How hot the sub can get? I'm little bit confused about that cause after using the speakers for 15 minutes with or without sound sub gets too hot. At that moment I can't touch it for 2 seconds. It's damn hot. Is it normal?

Not normal

I had my system running almost full blast, for nearly 6 hours, in a hot warehouse, and mines still fine.

BTW.

I played the Ultimate bass test on our living room setup.

MY GOD!

The Heresys, did an ok job.

But the Fishers show what they are good for, BASS.. LOUD BASS.

It was Schweet, you could FEEL it.

------------------

Living Room:

Yamaha Natural Sound A-500 Stereo Amplifier

2 Klipsch Heresys on A switch

2 Fisher STV-873 on B switch

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Today I tested my speakers with Sound Blaster Live 5.1 DE. The problem was very clear. I tested my speakers which was at about 50% (Sub & Main), Winamp at 80%, Surround mixer at 80%, Wave at 80%. When I tested the 4 speakers in surround mixer all the speakers started to make heavy crackling noise which was unbearable. Some of my friends who heard those speakers before in my house and were amazed with the quality of my speakers, now they are just shocked. They can't belive what happened to my speakers. The crackling noise is so clear that it is very annoying. I Think I have to send those speakers for replacement.

Ouch.

I hope you still have some kind of warenty on it.. right?

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Thats good.

You should go ahead and replace them then.

or wait, till the 5.1's come out, and see if you can pay the ectra 100 and upgrade to them.

------------------

Living Room:

My Room:

Klipsch Pro Medias

2 Fisher Surrounds

Wish I could get on my brother's VanderSteens and see how they sound lacking a seperate sub I'm pretty sure he would kill me tho since I like to experience music = quite loud at times.

This message has been edited by Paragon on 06-11-2001 at 09:23 PM

Today I returned the Pro's to the local retailer and they said they will try to get the replacement to me ASAP.

DwK, there is no problem in getting the 5.1 but I didn't want to wait any more cause I have already waited for more than nine months. Thanks for you help. I really apprecaited it.

With that bass test , 30 to 45 seconds into the test, i get alot of air coming from the sub, is this normal with everyone else? Cause i still can get bass...but i'm starting to get alot of just air from the sub...

------------------

Enisada

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

It's me again. I got reply from Singapore that they are not facing any problem with my speakers but I am 100% sure about the problem. I have send them mail. It's really frustrating for me. What should I do now?Frown.gifFrown.gifFrown.gif Amy any suggestions.