The Biggest Klipsch Rumor

rtrott

I had good luck with the two pairs of Maggies I owned. I still miss them for certain recordings, but on others, they just simply couldn't reproduce dynamics like Klipsch. I've been between Klipsch and Magnepan twice now in my audio journey and I'm starting to think what I really need is BOTH! While regular cone speakers would promise some of both worlds, I find regular cone speakers to be boring for the most part. What to do?...What to do?... -Jim.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim---When I owned the Maggies I also owned LaScalas. Once I combined them, bi-amping (REAL bi-amping of course), used the LaScala basshorns below 400hz and the Maggies above 400hz. Not having to reproduce below 400hz really helped open the Maggies up dynamically, it sounded pretty good. For sure the most dynamic Maggies ever.

Tom, interesting you say that.

I was talking with a friend earlier today who wants to take me out to his walleye "honey hole" this next season.

Funny thing, though.

I grew up living on a lake and have been fishing my whole life, but i've never been out for walleye.

I've hooked everything freshwater from Salmon to Smelt but never that funky fish, Walleye.

I guess I would use a jig or maybe a spinner bait.

I had an idea from what you said, Tom.

Perhaps, I can run my MG2s with my '57 Khorn bass bins.

What a concept.

I'm intrigued.

Now, i've gotta try it.

But first... i'm a little curious about something.

Since i'm running the ultra effecient Stevens 103LX-2 woofers in the 6" slotted doghouses, would I instead use tubes for the woofers and big SS for the Maggies?

Hmmmm.

Horn loaded bass bin with ESL mids and highs - interesting concept. Mad but interesting!!

My take is that the strength of Klipsch has always been to use less expensive components to come up with a sound greater than the sum of the parts. To my eyes this has not changed.

If it wasnt for the cheaper lines many of us would never have discovered or owned Klipsch. When I first got into the sound there were no Promedias - there were the Quintets. I had the full set of quintets with the KSW10 sub. A friend now has them and loves them. (Actually he also has my later KSB 3.1 monitors that were an interim step towards the Heresy 2's I ran for 3 years).

At the Athens High End show I got to hear a lot of the Klipsch range, including the KHorn. The speaker that made the biggest impression, however, was the brand new RF15(?). Costs next to nothing - a tiny tower - sounds much better (and bigger) than anything I have heard for the money with real speed in the bass to boot.

Has Klipsch changed over the years - probably - but they still do the much loved Heritage range and that, after all, is what drives this forum (along with Deang's RF7's of course!)

Reality----Ahh, but walleye is the king of fish! Best damn eating there is. I had a Chippewa friend and every year he'd go up on the reservation in Wisconsin and gill-net walleye. He'd bring an entire trunkload back to Chicago, he'd ice the trunk down. Then he'd throw a big party; plenty of fryed walleye and Old Style, great time.

Do you like Lake Superior whitefish? Broiled with butter and garlic, mmmm.

You know TB I have been thinking since I posted that knee-jerk response and I am coming down along the same lines as you. The only drawback is that this will end up being one seriously large speaker.

Basically think KHorn bass bin with a Maggie on top.

An alternative might be to go with ribbons from some of the German audiophile speaker makes. I am thinking of Adams of one of the equivalents.

The further problem is that these are going to look pretty silly perched on top of a Khorn bass bin. Of course VMPS is another option for the midrange - but these are long and thin - mating them together will either result in the mid driver running down the side of the bass bin - looking odd - or standing on top of them meaning a speaker over 7 feet in height.

Still interesting idea...

----------------

On 12/12/2003 7:23:36 PM rtrott wrote:

The rumor at that point developed and spread over time that the Klipsch product no longer retained the dedication to quality and sonic refinement that Paul Klipsch was dedicated to.

----------------

It IS strictly true, but it is nothing to take offense at. The Klipsch product no longer does retain the dedication to quality and sonic refinement of Paul Klipsch. Although he drove the corporation to be one of the biggest and best speaker manufacturers in the American history of audio, PWKs company originally started with what the Heritage loudspeakers are today: a small niche product for tweaking audiophiles. The dedication to quality and sonic refinement remains with the current Heritage line, but the other lines are built to a price point in an ever-changing home movie and music reproduction system market.

PWK only added the smaller and less expensive lines as HT become more popular. Audiences want smaller size, lower cost, PC loudspeakers and convenience above all. Bose gives them that. Klipsch Inc. would be fools not to follow. The purchase of an amplifier company shows that Klipsch Inc. knows where they are going.

I applaud their efforts. Their success in whatever form it may come. Their success supports this forum and the market for their big ole horns.

2.gif

----------------

On 12/12/2003 10:40:25 PM lynnm wrote:

"But the company took an about face to accomplish this"

I repeat :
HORSE**** !

There was no about face because none was required. The present management has dropped one model from the Heritage line for whatever reason and has concentrated their efforts on promoting additional lines.

The Heritage line never was and never will be a major force in the market other than as a benchmark. That was acceptable when Klipsch was a small company. Enough speakers could be sold at a high enough margin to keep the company solvent.

In a way the very success of the Heritage line forced the company into a position where the company needed to contract into a niche where it could survive only by becoming ever more exclusive ( and therefore gimmicky ) and expensive or by widening its name recognition by trading on its well deserved reputation for ultimate quality while expanding its range of products. The expanded line as far as I can see still carries forth the philosophy that Klipsch speakers will be the best of their type for every type of application.

Every company states the above mantra at the drop of a hat but frankly I rarely see/hear a product that competes with Klipsch where Klipsch is not the best of show or very nearly so.

Love them or despise them -> The Klipsch 2.1 Computer Speakers were as ( If not more ) significant in acquainting the mass market with Klipsch than the mighty Khorn. Many consumers who had heretofore never heard of Klipsch developed a desire for more having bought the 2.1s and their successors. There are people on this forum whose introduction to Klipsch home audio products is a direct result of auditioning the Klipsch computer speaker line.

There is no such thing as a speaker or amplifier that is perfect for every person in every circumstance and therefore there are always opportunities for Kvetching. That said Klipsch has not diluted or prostituted its product line in expanding it.

----------------

Well said Lynn

Guest Anonymous

2.gif4.gif3.gif16.gif9.gif10.gif1.gif4.gif

Gee do ya get the MESSAGE

Klipsch make me SMILE!!!!!!!

Hey, they sound great too11.gif

Smilin

Thanks to the all on the FORUM and all at KLIPSCH, have a HAPPY HOLIDAY and a GREAT NEW YEAR