New amp for my heresys

T_Shomaker

I think i'm going to get a new amp or reciever for my heresys. Are there any reccomendations for what I should get to power these. I don't really care if the product is new or old just as long as it doesn't have a wood or silver finish. Also what is the sound difference between a tube amp and a regular amp.

read back a ways...

-room size

-source hardware(cd, tuner, intertnet, DVD, phono,mp3)

-source software(rap, techno, rock, classical)

-spl listening level

more data the better

we cnnot comment well otherwise

PLUS

IF you take 45 minutes or more to read back there are many hardware amp options discussed.

Then you can ask more direct questions.

Yea give us some details ! I have Heresy's and ran them for about a year and loved them with a good number of amps so I should be able to point you in the right direction.

Are you looking for tubes or SS ?

What is you budget ?

Also all the questions Audioflynn asked above

Craig

I've been using a vintage Scott integrated (LK-48-B) with my Heresy's. It seems a match made in Heaven. The sound coming out of the horns, especially toward the higher mid and treble, has a less "etched" sound then ss does. It's hard to explaine the difference between listening to tubes on a horn and ss on a horn. Tubes have far less listener fatigue with more of a "you are listening to real music" feel.

The Scott I have has a light champagne gold faceplate with no chassis cover. One could be fashioned out of wood or expanded metal and made to look nice, although I like the open chassie look, as it is a nice clean plain steel chassis.

I have a pic on my site.

http://www.geocities.com/the_hurdy_gurdyman/

Dave1.gif

I have the speakers in my bedroom which is about 12x12. Currently I'm using a Yamaha A-420 Integrated Amp, but I really want a tuner. So I just thought that maybe there is a good reciever with about 100 wpc that i could get. I listen to pretty much all kinds of music except for jazz and country. I normally don't listen to the them loud unless nobody is home and then I really crank em up. I'm 13 years old which would probably tell you I really don't have much of a budget so I would like to get something under $400. I use my CD player and my MP3 player on it, but I may hook up a DVD player later on.

The least expensive way to get decent sound I know of is to find an old receiver from the 70's to use. Any of the ones from the big names of that time should work as good as todays much more expensive receivers (unless you are going into multi-channel). Any 20-80 watt 1970's receiver from names like Pioneer, Marantz, Kenwood, Sansui, harman-kardon, Fisher, Scott and Technics should work good. Some are silver colored, some are gold and some are black. Most were built to a higher standard then what you'll typically find today at Circuit City, Best Buy, ABC Warehouse, etc.

You can find these receivers (and integrateds) on on-line auctions like audiogon and ebay, or look in thrift shops, Goodwill stores, Salvation Army stores, and lots of garage sales. I have picked up killer receivers for $20 or less.

As for tubes, unless you can afford a rebuild and occasional tube replacement, better to wait. Tubes do have a certain "magic" with good horn speakers, but do require upkeep. Maybe later, when finances are better.

Dave1.gif

T, Shomaker,

Another choice would be an Older Pioneer receiver from the 1970's-79. They can be purchased on ebay for a resonalble price-good value just like the HK 430 suggestion posted eariler....................you don't need more than 25watts per channel to power the Heresys............good Luck!

T,

I think a Scott 340B would be right up your alley. If you can stretch your budget to say about $500 and buy one for $300 or less I can make it sing for $500 total invested. I can guarantee you will not regret the move ! If you start watching eBay fell free to send me links through email of what youre looking at tube wise and I can advise as to what I think of it. Remember tube watts are much more powerful and full sounding then SS watts. 20 watts will blow you out of a 12' x 12' room for sure.

Craig

Tell you what young man ! With the Idea of keeping tubes alive in the younger generation I will do a special deal for you. If you buy a Tube integrated amp or Reciever and have it shipped here I will do a basic rebuild and allow you to make payments toward the rebuild cost ! Now this is a deal of the century. You should be able to easily handle this in your budget. I will allow you 6 months or so to pay the balance. I hope you prove to be a honest young man. I'm going out on the limb here.

Craig

Craig,

Are you prancing around in your Santa Claus suit again?

Did you take your medication today?

Did you get your wifes' permission to wear the suit?

As Karens' grandma would say; "you're a good doobie". It was some endearing term from the east coast of the USA from the early 20th century.

It is a nice commitment!

If i do buy a new amp or reciever it would be sometime when i have money which would probably be around June because thats when my birthday is, I'm just trying to get an idea on what to buy right now. But I will definately keep that payment plan thing in mind, Nos. It sounds like a really good deal to me. I have to pay my mom off for the speakers sometime soon and after I do that I'm going to start saving for a new amp or reciever.

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/13/2003 1:03:12 PM NOSValves wrote:

Tell you what young man ! With the Idea of keeping tubes alive in the younger generation I will do a special deal for you. If you buy a Tube integrated amp or Reciever and have it shipped here I will do a basic rebuild and allow you to make payments toward the rebuild cost ! Now this is a deal of the century. You should be able to easily handle this in your budget. I will allow you 6 months or so to pay the balance. I hope you prove to be a honest young man. I'm going out on the limb here.

Craig

----------------

Aww Your such a nice guy!!3.gif

You are like the Elf's tying to (RE)build for christmas3.gif

Seriously though, that IS a very nice gesture.

Now get off the forum and get back to WORK!6.gif

Smilin and BIATCHIG10.gif