SHOULD I BI-WIRE?

sonyguy

Going straight or bi is something that's really up to you and what works best for you. Wait, let me rephrase that.... better yet, here are some links that go into good detail about bi-wiring. I have my RB-25's bi-wired, and I prefer the extra detail that I can clearly hear over standard single-wiring.

http://www.audiovideo101.com/learn/articles/speakers/speakers19.asp

http://www.whathifi.com/newsMainTemplate.asp?storyID=59&newssectionID=3

http://pachome1.pacific.net.sg/~axiom13/biwire.html

Only you will know if going bi is right for you.

If your speakers are made for it, you will run 2 pair of wires from the amp outputs to each speaker.

The theory is high current in the bass frequencies produces a magnetic field in the speaker wire and induces current that affects the treble. With most Klipsch speakers, the power requirements are so low this effect is negligible.

I bi-wire. However the effect is nominal, not to mention the mess in the back of your reciever, that I would rather use a better quality single run if I were to do it again. Even that will get feed back in both directions as some people would have you believe that a straightened coat hanger works as well as high end wire.

The thing is that when you have good components, and you are looking to tweak your system, it eventially cost extreme dollars for slight improvements. Many times speaker placement will create the best sound changing effect one can do.

However tweaking is fun!!!9.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I used to run biwiring; liked it.

What John Albright said about the theory of bi-wiring is exactly what I've heard also. However, rather than frequency thing having the most to do with the overall effect, I think that the physical effect at the speaker is due to the additional wire surface available in the "extra run" from the amp, but that's just my opinion (which ain't worth nothin' so far...). The signal current tends to run on the surface of the wires (surface effect, etc.), so the more conductive surface available, the better (i.e., less signal loss) or in this case, a noticeable improvement in the amount of current reaching the speaker compared to a single run of the same diameter wire, for example. I would regard bi-wiring about the same change as moving up to a larger diameter set of single cables (again, just my opinion). If my theory is correct, then the real test would be running bi-wire of the same collective diameter as a single run of cable, so that the frequency aspect mentioned above could be readily checked out for validity.

Now that I have Khorns, which are not really set up to easily handle biwiring, I am using a single run of cable, and am just as happy. But if you're a tweaker, go for it! This particular audio quandry is easily A-B'd for a definitive result.

DM2.gif

I find that Bi-wiring my RF/RC-7s helps enough to justify the extra expense and hassel. I agree that the setup can make the back of your receiver look rather messy, but let me offer a solution. I used a special bi-wire cable available for $1.40/lf from KnuKonceptz.com. It consists of 4 independent insulated 12 ga silver plated wires bundled together and covered by a clear sheath. Two of the cables are in blue insulation and two in clear to make identification easier. As for the plugs, on the amp side I use stackable one piece banana plugs available from Radio Shack. Since the spacing of the plugs doesn't fit most receivers, you may need to cut them apart (I used a dremel). As I mentioned, the plugs are stackable so one can plug right into the back of another, then the assembly will plug into the banana socket in your receiver. This whole combination yeilds a much cleaner and well organized bundle back there. Unfortunatly, my equipment is in a cabinet so I can't convieniently get a photo of the installation.

Jerry Rappaport