Nikko components?

stream

Anyone ever heard of Nikko components? My mom bought an "audiophile" system in the 70's, all Nikko components, with Ohm speakers. She said she paid several thousand for all of it, and she's wondering if it has any worth now. The Ohm speakers are completely dead (burnt coils I think), and the amp (a 400w tube beast) is pretty much toast, but the tuner and pre-amp are in pretty good shape.

Was this a good brand? Or was it the Sony of the 70's, or what? Thanks for any input.

-Jesse

Oh wow.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3064228098&category=3280

That is the exact combo she has, except that she also has the receiver from that series. lol, I didn't even think to check ebay before I asked around here first.

So...roughly $200 to $300. She probably won't be thrilled about that kind of depreciation. Yeah, and the amp is 110wpc. I guess the "400w" I saw on the back was the power consumption.

One channel of the amp is blown -- I would assume the tubes overheated, as a certain 11 or 12 year old child accidentally left the amp on for a couple of days many many years ago. Is this amp even worth fixing? Or should I just buy her a new Jolida or Cayin or vintage Scott or something, considering she still wants to go tube?

-jesse

----------------

On 12/14/2003 2:56:14 AM stream wrote:

Anyone ever heard of Nikko components? My mom bought an "audiophile" system in the 70's, all Nikko components, with Ohm speakers. She said she paid several thousand for all of it, and she's wondering if it has any worth now. The Ohm speakers are completely dead (burnt coils I think), and the amp (a 400w tube beast) is pretty much toast, but the tuner and pre-amp are in pretty good shape.

Was this a good brand? Or was it the Sony of the 70's, or what? Thanks for any input.

-Jesse

----------------

Your mom probably did pay thousands. I bought a Nikko Alpha amp (110WPC) and preamp in early 80's. I recall the pair being around $1500 or $1600. They were pretty well thought of and had the reputation of being built like a tank. Mine have never needed repair and I still use the amp to power the bass horns of K-horns. The amp has level adjustments on the rear so it is particularly well-suited to bi-amping applications. John