RB-75 or RF-35

Tenn

I am putting together a home theater if you had to chose which would you get the RB-75 or RF 35 I will be building slowly so I will have 2 channel for a while but i need a starting point I am converting from Bose after hearing a friends Klipsh set up Thanks

this decision should be based on your rooms dimensions. Are you going to put the rb-75 in an entertainment system. If not, you will need stands that will make the same footprint as an rf speaker. But the rb-75 does have the same horn as the rf-7 so thats good. But as an opinion I would probably lean toward the rb-75! Could always add a rsw-12 or 15 to handle the low-end2.gif. Either way you go you won't be disappointed with the reference speaker line. I'm not!!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of big ole horns. For starters, since our frigging forum profile still does not include our equipment list, we need some information from you, some of which you have already provided:

Budget?

Room size?

Room shape?

Corners available?

Primary music or movies?

What percent music or movies?

Prefer extra bass punch or flat accuracy?

Muti or dual channel?

What kind of music?

How loud?

Other planned additions or upgrades?

Own or rent (can you install in walls)?

Tweaking audiophile handy, willing to DIY?

Prefer new or used?

And some personal background:

How long you have been a Klipsch fan?

How you got introduced to Klipsch?

What else have you tried?

;)

I faced the same decision a few months ago, since these two speakers are around the same price. I went with the RB-75's and I am very glad I did. You will not miss any loudness... I've had AC/DC playing at over 110 db on several occasions. To me, the 75's sound much smoother and more "effortless" than the RF-35s. I will be getting a sub in a month or two, probably an SVS, because they do lack a lot of bottom end. However, since its a home theater, you'll probably get a sub for the RF-35's anyway, so you won't really miss the bottom end on the mains too much. Finally, the real wood finish on the RB-75's makes them a very attractive piece of furniture.

Also, check the archives for discusssions on this same topic. There should be a few of them.

James

I looked at both 3 weeks ago and decided on the RF-35s. I now have all Rx-35s in my 7.1 system with the exception of the front surrounds which are RS-25s (the 35s would have been too overpowering in this particular location) and they are wonderful.

Yesterday I finally received the Sergio Mendes and the New Brazil 77 CD that I have been searching for over 2-1/2 years and fired it up to 90 db in stereo mode (no sub) and was amazed by the fullness of the bass from these speakers. The female vocals were amazing as were the rest of the instrumentals. The CD is re-mastered out of Japan and you can tell the Stevie Wonder influence.

Anyway, what ever ones you get, I doubt that you will suffer from buyers remorse.

1.gif

Colin has asked questions that need to be answered before we can give our best advice.

In the mean time, I will assume that a multi-channel system is in your future, even if it may not happen soon. Identical speakers across the front are a major advantage. Three RB-75s would be ideal when used with a capable subwoofer. (Subwoofers are a true requirement of a multi-channel system.)

Movies and muli-channel music benefit from no change in the tone of the sound as it pans across the front. THX specifies identical speakers across the front for this reason.

The RB-75s are the way to the best sound for what is usally a lower price IMO.

Bill