Update on my Klipschorn review

DTLongo

In October I posted a considered six-month review on my 2003 Klipschorns. The bottom line was that while I was pleased with them, they were shy in the bass and needed to be used with a good subwoofer. I now need to amend that. My then-amp, a vintage-1988 SS Kenwood KA-880D, began to die. I swapped in a newer Pioneer VSX-5700S receiver and the difference was remarkable. Much fuller bass, the Khorns seemed to "bloom." One sensed that they were now really putting out down to their rated 35 hz. or so. I still use the sub to bring out the very bottom on relevant organ and symphonic material but otherwise the subwoofer has become more or less superfluous.

I purchased and swapped in a new Onkyo top of the line stereo receiver but, interestingly, it did not sound significantly better than the vintage-1990 Pioneer. So, I took it back and saved some bucks and am staying with the Pioneer for now. Maybe some day tubes, but I still have reservations about that - heat, microphonics, hiss and hum, tubes blow out and so forth. Anyway, the lesson which you experts already know but I had to learn: with Khorns the choice of amp can make a big difference.

Regards, Tom in Ocean Pines MD